Sunday at Saint Marks 8/30/09

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Sunday at Saint Marks 8/30/09

Post by fishinfool »

I put in at the lighthouse at almost 7am. I was the first boat to launch, which surprised me. Even though low tide was only a little over an hour earlier there was still plenty of water at the ramp. I headed east with the thought of exploring the creeks behind Grey Mare for Reds. On my way there I remembered reading a report last week about Palmetto Island and decided to stop there for a minute first. Well I had no problem getting into the mouth of a creek on the west side of the island.It was a spot I had never been to before. I saw some fish moving near the saw grass and threw a top water mirror lure. After four casts I decided to change to a Chug Bug in the black chrome mullet color. Second cast produced a 26" Red that walked me around the boat twice before I was able to net it. I fished that area and up the creek for about an hour with no other strikes before heading east again.
I wound up behind Grey Mare Island and fished pretty hard in there without seeing or raising any Reds. I started getting a little tired of that and decided to try for a limit of Trout on the flats. After hitting two spots that were produced no strikes, I settled on a third in about 5' of water a little east of the Rock Garden. I threw everything in the box without success until I gave in and put on a Gulp shrimp under a popping cork. 1st cast produced an 18 " Trout. After another 30 minutes without any action I decided to call it a day. The wall of weather coming in from the south also helped me make up my mind. I decided that it was a successful day. Basically I had two strikes and landed two quality fish, plenty for the dinner table. I need to remember that creek for future exploration.
FF
Fishman
Site Sponsor

Re: Sunday at Saint Marks 8/30/09

Post by Fishman »

Good report :thumbup:
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Re: Sunday at Saint Marks 8/30/09

Post by Sir reel »

Nicely done James :thumbup:
"Good Judgement" comes from experience, ... and a lot of that..... results from "Bad Judgement".