Weekend at Panacea, AGP, Turkey Point and DIR!

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

bman

Weekend at Panacea, AGP, Turkey Point and DIR!

Post by bman »

Five friends from Atlanta came down to fish for the weekend. Several of them had never fished in salt water- let alone our coast. We stayed in AGP and fished Panacea, Alligator Harbor, Turkey Point and Dog Island Reef.

First day out was after the big Friday AM rains- We were in two boats and ran to Turkey Point catching short trout and a few ladies. Saw several tarpon rolling. Then we ran out to DIR and managed a few big blues. Then I hooked a HUGE trout on topwater only to lose him at the boat. It looked every bit of 30” and I was crying all night.
That afternoon we went out of Bottoms and had decent luck with the trout but nothing crazy to write home about. A few broken lines and some schools of ladies.

Saturday AM we put in at bottoms with three boats. One group ran behind Piney and caught reds and a couple of trout. They had fun back there- first timers they spent a little extra time looking for the channel ;-)
The other of us ran out to the long bar and got into schools of blues and ladies with a few random trout thrown in. They all have fun getting into schools of fish and got lots of practice boating fish. Saw several gars out on the long bar so I know the salinity was low. We came in and had a great dinner at Hook Wrecks :lick: before crashing at the house.

I was getting a little frustrated that we were not catching as many eating fish- :oops: lots of action just not quality trout.

Sunday we only had time for them to fish in the morning and I was glad we did.
One Group fished the Oyster Bars in the back of Alligator Harbor and caught Flounder, Reds and a trout.
Most interesting thing- they had a 6 foot shark come at them in about 3 feet of water :o

The other two of us went out to the grass flats off Turkey Point and found the trout. We had 4 limits in the boat in about an hour! It was non stop action on the Cajun Thunders / Gulp and they were having a blast. They would hook up and I’d give them my rod while I took fish off- before I could get the fish off they would be hooked up again. We caught a number over 20” and a couple to 25” Still we caught 4 to 1 shorts.
I sent them home tired, happy, with bags of fillets. They are already planning the next trip!
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Re: Weekend at Panacea, AGP, Turkey Point and DIR!

Post by SHOWBOAT »

Nice report Barry...sounds like you should be fishing the Carrabelle tourney
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
cmccord
Site Sponsor

Post by cmccord »

WTG Bman! Sounds like you have made a great adventure for another group of folks. :thumbup: :thumbup:
"You cannot change the wind, you can only adjust your sails." Del Suggs
leesburgga

Post by leesburgga »

where is the longbar?
bman

Post by bman »

Out from Shell Point
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Post by fishinfool »

It is always nice to send Yankees home with a good fishin story and some fillets to go with it. I hope they had a great time. I know you did Bman
dolphinatic
Advertising Sponsor

Post by dolphinatic »

I knew that was you the other day towing a Skiff south while I was going north to work :roll:
"Death and life are in the power of the tongue: and they that love it shall eat the fruit thereof." Proverbs 18:21

Team BevisRealty.com
Flanders
Site Sponsor

Post by Flanders »

:thumbup: :thumbup:
I come from a small drinking community with a fishing problem
toden
Site Sponsor

Post by toden »

Didn't Rodbow tell you were all those trout were-- Sounds like a blast- great job