Better to spend money on rod or reel?

The place to discuss the finer points of fly fishing.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

willworkforfish

Better to spend money on rod or reel?

Post by willworkforfish »

Im looking into getting my first fly set up. I will be using it on the flats and i am on a huge budget being a starving college kid and all. I have seen those TFO 8wt combos at Kevins for $209 and that seems like a good deal. But if i wanted to put together my own combo is it more important to put more money into the rod or reel? Or is that combo my best bet?
Thanks guys

Jay
cmccord
Site Sponsor

Re: Better to spend money on rod or reel?

Post by cmccord »

Hard to go wrong with a TFO to start with. Ultimately, IMO, the rod is the more important of the two aspects of the combo. However, that being said it is important to have a large arbor reel for good saltwater fish. Good luck!
"You cannot change the wind, you can only adjust your sails." Del Suggs
willworkforfish

Thanks! it seems just like everything else in fishing, it just comes down to preference but since i have no basis for fly gear i appreciate the input.

Any other opinions are welcome as well!
RC
Site Sponsor

Post by RC »

Depends on what you are fishing for. bonefish, marlin, tarpon you might find the reel more important. around here fishing for reds and trout the reel is just to store the line more than anything else. Get you any large arbor reel designed for salt water use. I think the large arbor battenkill is pretty cheap.

the rod and the fly line are the keys to everything in casting a fly. A high quality rod will make it much more enjoyable and probably speed up the learning curve. Definitely try before you buy.
Flanders
Site Sponsor

Post by Flanders »

My advice would be which ever brand of rod you go with make sure you get a "fast action". Due to the wind alsways blowing on the flats. :thumbup:
I come from a small drinking community with a fishing problem
ab7bear

Post by ab7bear »

I too am on a tight college budget. :beer: I agree with all the above about a good quality rod being the most important. I like the TFO rods but when I was doing my research I thought that $200 entry level TFO was a bit high..for a basic setup. I suggest looking through the classifieds sections here and on some other forums and don't forget ebay. You can find some good deals on better quality rods and reels at a fraction of the cost of buying new ones. As far as reels go I had been looking into a Battenkill IV mid arbor ($150 on Orvis website) but i'm leaning towards a pflueger trion instead ($90 on ebay or $120 cabelas). In my research and reading, i saw on another site where a guy was able to put a battenkill spool on his pflueger trion and they matched up exactly...wether this is true or not who knows, it's just something i read out there on the internet. Whatever you do just be patient and rush into anything. Try to learn as much about them as you can before you buy :thumbup:
hmaadd29

Post by hmaadd29 »

I think most all of those centerline drags come out of the same factory. That orvis reel use to be 115.00. I've had several of the mid arbor V in the past and they are good reels. Very light.

Try before you buy as far as rods go
willworkforfish

I have spent countless hours online researching this stuff when I know I should have been studying school. Haha

Thanks guys this is all great info.
reelcatch

Post by reelcatch »

Study for school, graduate with degree, buy whatever the hell you want!!!
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

willwork,
As others have mentioned, for inshore action around here, spend as much as you can on the rod first. It'll make casting easier and on most occasions, you'll never get into the backing for our reds or trout. Now the random tarpon or jack might be another story... Flanders had a TFO Professional rod FS here on the forum that would do the trick, if it's not gone already.

For you or ab7bear, I have a brand new Pflueger Trion reel loaded with backing and a Scientific Anglers 8 WF fly line that I'll sell if you're interested. I bought it at Sportsman Warehouse when they closed for a spare, but then realized I had another spare already. $115 for all. Send me a PM and I can shoot you a pix. It'll do the job quite well and is a great reel for the money (especially for anglers on a budget).
willworkforfish

Just wanted to let everyone know that i got a great deal on a TFO Signature Series 8wt and a Battinkill LA V. It should be in the mail in the next week and im sure i will have plenty more questions... Thanks again to everyone and when i get done with school and I am living in Thomasville again i look forward to meeting some of you guys on the water... Ill be the one untangling line and/or picking a fly out of my scalp.
bigirishllp

Post by bigirishllp »

willworkforfish wrote:Just wanted to let everyone know that i got a great deal on a TFO Signature Series 8wt and a Battinkill LA V. It should be in the mail in the next week and im sure i will have plenty more questions... Thanks again to everyone and when i get done with school and I am living in Thomasville again i look forward to meeting some of you guys on the water... Ill be the one untangling line and/or picking a fly out of my scalp.

practice at the park with just some yarn tied on. (or for weight, take an old closer and clip the hook off on the shaft so there is no pointy end.) Go to the dollar store and buy you a hula hoop, practice laying your casts into that in different winds and you'll get the hang of it and hook yourself, your dog, or other people allot less :lol: