10/18 Keaton

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

FMI

10/18 Keaton

Post by FMI »

Finally have been able to get out on the water. Last Sunday was the maiden voyage for the Yak, mainly paddled. Ended up releasing a lower slot trout, losing two at the boat and a few hits. Did a short trip late Monday but the weather & air boats did not let me fish.

Any how for today, got down to CI around 11:45 and was greeted with much less water than I was expecting. Ended up paddling off around 2 with a spot in mind for the cold weather. Today the rudder was greatly appericated... Worked my way up the creek looking to get out of the wind and find some fish. I found an area out of the wind a after a few casted was hooked up to an over slot red, the fight was short as he found a rock in between me and the bar I pulled him off of. Worked the area a bit more with no success so I went further up the creek. Ended up not working out as there was less protection from the wind so I decided to drift near the mouth and work the bar there.

My first cast the the bar resulted in a solid hit but no hook up. The follow up hooked into this guy Image 24" with some nice shoulders. This was my first Yak red and he didn't make it easy, had to do some one handed paddling to keep him out of the two traps I drifted buy with him on. He was hooked deep in the gills was was bleeding badly so he stayed in the boat with me and I headed back.

Probably should have stayed and worked the bar some more as I saw quite a few nice reds hooked up. I didn't want to have a fish rotting in a box with no ice so...

It was a fun and windy 2 hours
GULP! free since 83' ;)
cmccord
Site Sponsor

Re: 10/18 Keaton

Post by cmccord »

Sounds like a good time. The yak adds a new element of challenge to your fishing adventures. :thumbup: :thumbup:
"You cannot change the wind, you can only adjust your sails." Del Suggs
Reel Cowboy
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Cowboy »

Nothing wrong with that.
Glad you got out there.
In the words of the great Doc Holliday, "I'll be your huckleberry"
Bow'd Up

Post by Bow'd Up »

Glad you got out there :thumbup: