Shrimping the St. Marks???

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

big bend gyrene

Re: Shrimping the St. Marks???

Post by big bend gyrene »

Question for those of you shrimping here in Florida.

Do you use stakes and bait? Don't even know if legal in Florida, but in Souths Cacalaki (Carolina :wink: ), my friends who shrimp are allowed to put out 10 pvc stakes in a line, and they then throw out bait balls made of clay and fish meal pressed together. They wait 30 minutes to an hour or so, and then start down the row of their pvc poles throwing their cast nets.

Same method used here, or are you just finding them thick enough you don't have to use such a method?

BBG
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
woopty
Site Sponsor

Re: Shrimping the St. Marks???

Post by woopty »

big bend gyrene wrote:Question for those of you shrimping here in Florida.

Do you use stakes and bait? Don't even know if legal in Florida, but in Souths Cacalaki (Carolina :wink: ), my friends who shrimp are allowed to put out 10 pvc stakes in a line, and they then throw out bait balls made of clay and fish meal pressed together. They wait 30 minutes to an hour or so, and then start down the row of their pvc poles throwing their cast nets.

Same method used here, or are you just finding them thick enough you don't have to use such a method?

BBG
Never seen anyone do that around here.

We just poled/drifted/motored around until we found a swarm and then threw the net. Took about 15 minutes to find a swarm.

Don't know how long they will be there though.

jb
"You got time to breathe, you got time fur music..."
...Briscoe Darling Jr.

JB
http://zydecozoo.com