Steinhatchee info needed

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Lester C
Site Sponsor

Steinhatchee info needed

Post by Lester C »

Going to Steinhatchee Mon to Wed. Never fished there before. I plan to fish inshore and, if it is really calm, may go a little offshore. How far out is Steinhatchee Reef? I would appreciate any suggestions. Many thanks.
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

They have doing well on Sheephead at the reef.....Here is the numbers
Taylor Steinhatchee Reef 20 6 N 29 39.480 W 83 37.490
Taylor Steinhatchee Reef 22 6 N 29 40.018 W 83 37.564
Taylor Steinhatchee Reef 22 5 N 29 40.005 W 83 37.602
Taylor Steinhatchee Reef 22 5 N 29 40.017 W 83 37.426
Taylor Steinhatchee Reef 20 3 N 29 39.867 W 83 37.646

Never been over there, maybe someone else will chime in.... :thumbup:
dstockwell

Post by dstockwell »

You may want to check with seahag. http://www.seahag.com rumor is the Sheepies are gone, or not many of them.
GeneO.
Site Sponsor

Post by GeneO. »

Lester C.

Let me qualify this by saying it's been 13 year's since I was down there. Talked to a friend the other day and know the fishing is still good.

About 7 miles south of Steinhatchee is Rocky Creek, some of the best grass flats fishing in the Gulf out of the creek. There used to be a landing there as well. If you try it, there are two openings to the Gulf from the creek. The first one will be the most inviting and will make the most sense, DO NOT go through it as just under the water is an Oyster Bar the size of a football field you can see it well at low tide. Instead follow the stakes to the right and then left to the gulf. Go slow through the creek and stay in the channel and you'll be fine. Once you get into the Gulf to the south between second and third marker, the whole channel used to be stakes not sure anymore, is the flats. The flats run between there and halfway to Pepperfish Point. Fish the incoming tide and you should do quite well. Just an FYI to the North there is alot of Oyster Bars so if your going to fish there be careful. Also very good Redfish and sheephead around those Oyseter Bars, just take care.

Grubs, red head white tail, or Fiddlers on the rocks. Red Head with White body lure or shrimp on the flats. Drag the lure the direction the grass is laying.

If you want to try it just ask one of the locals in Steinhatchee he'll give you the scoop on the landing and location.

Good Luck and let me know how you do,

GeneO.

PS: Those same flats will be full of Scallops in the summer.
Tight Lines and Screamin Drag

http://members.fishingworks.com/gosteen/
Lester C
Site Sponsor

Post by Lester C »

Many thanks. I'm headin' down there today. I'll let you know.