Alligator Point 3/28/04

Use this area to post offshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

fish finder
Site Sponsor

Alligator Point 3/28/04

Post by fish finder »

I jumped at the chance to get on the water without the pressure of a charter and a forecast of sunny & 2ft or less. My girlfriend Amy and I invited a couple of friends along for a beautiful day of fishing. Randy (Knot Yet) and his girlfriend Libby and another friend, Ron Rice & his daughter Sally left the dock around 7:30 -8:00 and stopped at D.I. Reef to see if we could put some live bait on board but the water temp of 64 prevented the pinfish from being there yet. Next, we stopped at the marker that sets about a mile or so off the reef and loaded up a few spottails ( sailors choice) baits and decided frozen bait would have to do.
We started trolling stretch 30's when we hit 45ft, looking for some new bottom. We didn't go to far and had a double hook up, both gags went into the box and marked a nice rock. After hooking up with a few more trolling, decided to bottom fish the area. Amy pulled a nice one off the bottom that went 28" :lol: and we had a slow but steady bite for awhile.

The bite quit so I decided to check out the Bryson Reef, I hadn't been there in awhile. With 2 boats there, decided to troll around and immediately had another double hook up, but both were shorts, barely. After hooking several more shorts, I found a spot just off the big wreck and set out the chum churn and dropped a couple live ones down. After five minutes, Randy was doing battle with a keeper AJ. :-D Once aboard it measured 34", about 20-22 lbs, his first keeper AJ. A few minutes later, with a cut LY down Randy hooked what we thought was a nice grouper, but to our surprise, it was a 26" redfish :wink: No sooner had we put it on ice, Ron brought another on in the boat and then Libby put one in the box. All three redfish were identical, 26 " and beautiful. About then, the boat nearest us couldn't take it and 2 of them donned there gear and it was diver down. Of course, the bite shut down and we moved on. We spent the afternoon checking out some new area, but the grouper seemed to have got the lock jaw for the afternoon. We decided to head in and enjoy a few cold ones on the ride back. What a great day. :D :beer:
The final tally was 7 keeper groper, 1 AJ, 3 redfish and few big seabass and grunts to make for a nice mess of fish. Water temp was 64-67 and clear. The seas were 1 ft or less all day. The company couldn't have better and Cuda "B" ran great. Oh yea, we used gordon , black& silver, and black& gold strech 30's and the bait was mainly cut LY's

Capt. Jay
EddieJoe

Post by EddieJoe »

Great report. Sunday was a fine day - made you glad to be alive, and fishing!

Luck,

EJ
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

Jay you may want to check the regs on this but I don't believe you are allowed to keep keeper reds in Federal waters. But otherwise a good trip. :thumbup: :thumbup:
Tom Keels
Site Founder

fish finder
Site Sponsor

Post by fish finder »

Tom,
Wow, I learn something new everyday. I pride myself in knowing the regs and maybe I goofed. The only other redfish I have caught offshore were the big bulls which I knew had to be released. I'll check it out. Thanks for the info.
Capt. Jay
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

I may be mistaken but seems I remember reading or someone telling me that sometime. I suppose you would be OK as long as you werent checked in Federal waters.
Tom Keels
Site Founder

Sea Fox
Site Sponsor

Post by Sea Fox »

Sounds like a good time. I hope to do the same next weekend. 8)
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

Sounds like a good time Capt. Jay.......Look at the top of page three :roll: ....http://www.gulfcouncil.org/downloads/GM ... C_2003.pdf
SteveL

Post by SteveL »

Great report. did you do any jigging for the AJ's.
fish finder
Site Sponsor

regs!

Post by fish finder »

Tom,
I've always thought that it is crazy to have separate regs for the same species just because you've caught the fish in "different water". The different start dates for Red Snapper season for State and Federal waters is crazy, especially for our area. I guess this little known rule on the redfish is another case. Either one of those cases could be disputed in most cases because THE MAN doesn't come out to federal waters, for that matter they are State officers. I've never been checked anywhere past a couple of miles out in my 15 years of fishing the big bend. Go figure? Well, I'm wiser today than yesterday and I'll know from now on. Thanks.

Chalk,
Thanks for the link. I couldn't open the file and didn't take the time to download Adobe Acrobat, but I called them and they are sending me the recreation regs. Anyway, my intentions were good and I can't claim ignorance from now on:)

Steve L,
I did some jigging with a diamond jig, but not much. I was enjoying the rest of the crew catching and we were not at the best location of the reef. By the time we left it was crowded with 6 or 7 boats in close proximity.

Thanks all,
Capt. Jay
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

I added the pics to your report Jay.

Just an FYI, FWC officers are sworn state and federal officers and have the most arresting power of any Law Enforcement officer in the state.

Jay we got checked about 5 miles south of 24 2 years ago by the boys in the Scarab. They ran boat to boat out there.
Tom Keels
Site Founder

Bottomtime

Post by Bottomtime »

Last summer I was stopped by 3 FWC officers in a nice new Edgewater. GPS said it was 23 miles to the St. Marks Channel. They do travel well outside of "state" waters.