Late Report from Last Sunday in the FOG...

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Late Report from Last Sunday in the FOG...

Post by Steve Stinson »

Amidst the drizzling rain, smoky fire and fishing stories hanging in the air, Rick and I hatched a plan of our own at the NFGFC Christmas party. We ran it by our wives, and since neither of them wanted to be the one to say “No” the fishing plans for the following morning were set.
Knowing better than to cut church to go fishing, I had Rick meet me at my house after the early service. We loaded up the kayaks and headed South noticing along the way that the closer we got to the coastline, the thicker the fog became. Undaunted, we pressed on to JR’s where we stopped to get gas, snacks and cigars. JR asked us to report back to him on the fishing, since he was getting a lot of inquiries on the phone, but no reports from returning anglers.
As the fog thickened, we launched at a creek where I hadn’t fished since last year. I suggested to Rick that we stay within sight of each other, and we checked the batteries in the GPS to be sure we had plenty of run-time left. The tide was really high, and as we headed down the creek and we noticed wakes from moving fish out in front of our kayaks. Not being sure if they were reds or mullet, we began to make a few casts and I picked up a small red.
We made a couple of more stops along the way toward the creek mouth, but didn’t pick up any decent fish. Once we got to the mouth of the creek however, our luck quickly changed. I picked up a trout and a red, then Rick got several of each as he drifted out of the creek mouth. We drifted the creek mouth several times picking up fish for a good while before the action died.
By that time, the wind had picked up out of the Southeast, but the fog had not lifted a bit. We drifted to the West, letting the wind push us as we fished. Before too long, we came upon a second creek and headed in to give it a try. I paddled up the creek along the East bank without much luck. Rick fished a point on the Western side and picked up a really nice red, which towed him out of the creek a little. As he moved back toward the creek, he hit a spot where the trout were thick. Both of us caught enough trout there to finish our limits.
With darkness approaching, the wind blowing and the fog as thick as ever, we decided to head back toward the hill, choosing to back track and paddle out of the creek we were in, then back up our original creek. Even though this was a longer route, it allowed us to follow the trail on the GPS instead of taking a chance getting lost in the dark and the fog.
Once we were out of the Gulf, and back in our original creek, the wind was not so bad and we began to make a few casts working our way back. I finally picked up a good sized red, so now each of us had our limits filled. I have to admit, I found some comfort as I rounded the last bend in the creek and saw my Jeep perched there on the hill waiting patiently were we had left it. The fog was so thick now that we could see less than 100 feet.
We stopped back by JR’s to give him an up to date fishing report – the final tally for the day 12 trout and 16 reds.
Rick – I enjoyed it and hope to do it again soon!
Good Fishin’ – Steve Stinson
WaltDawg
Site Sponsor

Re: Late Report from Last Sunday in the FOG...

Post by WaltDawg »

Nice reds, any secret on where you guys launched. If its a secret spot don't comment, but it looks like the dirt roads around hickory mounds?
redbelly7

Post by redbelly7 »

Very good post. What lures were you using?
juan sapatos

Post by juan sapatos »

great report.
Nature Red in Tooth and Claw
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Post by SHOWBOAT »

very nice Steve!

Looks like the kayak could use a repaint :-D
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

That is stealth camo Showboat.
The fish think they are looking at the sun and clouds.
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
captkeyser
Site Sponsor

Post by captkeyser »

Excellent report!!! Great read. :thumbup: :thumbup:
Ranaman

Post by Ranaman »

great job!
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

That kayak has an interesting history -
Following Hurricane Ivan, I ran several truck loads of supplies to the employees at the home office of my employer in Pensacola, Fl. The home office was right on the shoreline of Pensacola Bay, which was piled high with debris from docks that had been torn apart by the hurricane. Rather than return with an empty diesel pickup and tripple axle trailer, I asked the survey crew guys unloading the supplies I brought over to put some of the dock pieces on the empty trailer planning to build a dock at my house.

Underneath some of the dock pieces, there was the kayak you see in the picture. One of the survey crew guys from Alabama found it first and wanted it for duck hunting so he toted it home and put the camo on it. A couple weeks later, on the coldest morning of the year, he fired a shotgun out of it and roled himself over in the middle of the duck pond. So the following Monday, I get a call from him saying 'If you still want this piece of #$**!!! come get it.

I inherited the kayak, installed some rod holders and have caught just as many or more fish from it as I do my regular boat. In fact, that kayak got my entire family into the sport, and we now have 1 boat, 4 kayaks and a canoe sitting in the yard, next to the dock over the lake that I constructed by putting the recovered pieces back together.

- Steve Stinson
Reel Cowboy
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Cowboy »

What did you catch 'em on?
In the words of the great Doc Holliday, "I'll be your huckleberry"
flounderpounder
Site Sponsor

Post by flounderpounder »

Another very solid report Steve, those are real nice fish.
sorifish

Post by sorifish »

Steve, Thanks for the invite, thoroughly enjoyed it and ready to go again anytime you are!
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

Andrew knows where the big fish stay. :roll:
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

Jumptrout - They were in YOUR fishing holes, of course! We left a few for ya..
qoutrage
Site Sponsor

Post by qoutrage »

Real nice report and interesting story about the kayak, thanks.