15 - 20 and nasty -- Destin, 3 - 5 April..

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

dstockwell

15 - 20 and nasty -- Destin, 3 - 5 April..

Post by dstockwell »

Well arrived Destin about 10:30 Saturday mornin, and since it was to early to check in, just did some drivin around for a liitle to see where we may go later. :-D After the check in to the hotel, took the boat down to cruise the harbor and check the sites. Now Destin is nice, but this place is seriously hurting for ramps to launch from. We went to a little marina on the bay side pretty close to the bridge that leads to the inlet or harbor. A dinky one lane ramp, and limited turn area. :smt019 So took two rods rigged for Spanish, cause they have been catchin in the Harbor, at least before the cold snap we had about four days ago, cause they were not interested. and 15-20 :thumbdown: . So no fishies this day.

Sunday mornin headed to Half Hitch for scrimps, and down to another launch, and much better for sure, 4 lane on the bayside in a canal area. Here we go again, wind is blowin outa the North 10 - 15, OK maybe, so we head outa the canal into the bay, and its a good :evil: chop, but manage to make our way across to the opposite side. So we are givin it a try, even got the wife to give it go, she does not fish very much. Now up that way if there are grass flats I sure would like to know where :x cause there are so many shoals where it gets shallow, but its all sand, and when you move to the darker water thinking there main be grass, its just deeper. All I could manage was two of these nasty critters, but while we were out there we got to watch some of the air show going on at Eglin. :thumbup:

So we decided to try our luck up in the canals, but ferget it, nota bite, cept and occasional bait stealer. And with the wind and tide could not drift and had to anchor, pull and move, etc. Were fishin this ones guys dock, just drolling pver the Regulator with twinn 300 yamaies.. :smt023 Very nice.

Monday we head to the beach, but off course its three peet with the wind 15 - 20 blowin in this time :o Lots of people there, but not many in the water, this chit was cold. Snaped a couple pics and headed back.

Went back later for a sunset pic, but some clouds were moving in.

Nice couple dayz, cept for the wind. Went down to the boardwalk to checkout the catch of some of the charters, WOW some very nice, some so-so. One boat had 3 nice Cobia to #25, another #40 black Grouper, and a ton other Groupers.. :-D
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Post by DixieReb »

:cry: Hey, sorry your trip didn't work out like ya planned. Those sea robins like you caught aren't good for much but maybe commercial cat food. We had a similar trip over at St. Joe Bay a few weeks ago- no bites at all. Isn't Destin more of an offshore type place? Not sure they have grass flats over there.
Anyway, wer'e going to o'l Icky tomorrow, so wish us luck.
Yours in the South
Aucilla
Site Sponsor

Post by Aucilla »

I caught one of those sea robins once, while I was standing on an oyster bar late in the evening. Neither my buddy nor I knew what it was, but it was just mighty weird to us. Thing had wings and legs. :o It likedta walk to get back in the water.

When I got home, I resolved to find the name of that thing. I tried a google search using terms like "fish wings legs" and got a lot of restaurant menus. :lick:

Then I just searched images for "ugly fish gulf" and "ugliest florida fish" and, you guessed it, up came a picture identified as a robin fish! :smt032 Oh, then I wanted to research that fish, and found stuff on some poor sucker whose name was Robin Fish! :smt029
dstockwell

Post by dstockwell »

Not sure if Destin is just Offshore or not, gots to Reds ans Trouts somwhere. I should have kept them things and turned them into chum.. :P