Fuel Water Separator

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

DeanMac

Fuel Water Separator

Post by DeanMac »

First I don't have one, but intend on installing one.

I found Racor, Mallory, Sierra, on line and seen the type Bass Pro and Walmart carry.

I found that I should use the 10 micron type filter, some of the above do not state the filter type.

Question #1: Which one should I go with? A big price difference from about $25 to $125. The cheapo would have to be better than what I have now.

Question #2: Where should I mount it? I have seen a bunch on the back where the gas line comes out of the hull to the motor. Also, I read about putting it under the floor at the back or inside the back hull. I like the idea of getting it out of sight, but could see a problem on getting to the filter to see the bowl (Racor) or changing the filter.

What do ya'll think?

I want to get this installed before I run the engine anymore.

Thanks,

Dean
Take a kid hunting or fishing and you will be rewarded.
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Re: Fuel Water Separator

Post by Sir reel »

I wouldn't worry about making a fashion statement and trying to hide it but that's just my opinion. You'll be replace'n the thing (or someone will) most likely each year or two depending on usage, so put it where it's convenient to get to. In addition, I'm much more comfortable being able to visually check the thing in case something should begin to leak. If it's under the deck or somewhere enclosed....ImageI don't believe the more expensive ones provide you the extra benefit compared to the extra cost. (jmo) Either way, DO install one. :thumbup:
"Good Judgement" comes from experience, ... and a lot of that..... results from "Bad Judgement".
Slough
Site Sponsor

Post by Slough »

Racor, I can't remember the place, but it is in South Fla. that I buy from online that is 1/3 less than anywhere I found.
Last edited by Slough on January 13th, 2010, 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Post by SHOWBOAT »

I'm guessing some of the disparity in price you're seeing is whether you get a stainless one or not. I recomend stainless to avoid the frequency of replacement that SR refers to.
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
DeanMac

Post by DeanMac »

Slough wrote:Racor, I can't remember the place, but it is in South Fla. that I buy from online that is 1/3 less than anywhere I found.
The cheapest I found was on Ebay, Racor 320 for $89
DeanMac

Post by DeanMac »

SHOWBOAT wrote:I'm guessing some of the disparity in price you're seeing is whether you get a stainless one or not. I recomend stainless to avoid the frequency of replacement that SR refers to.

No just brand and style, with Racor the highest
Slough
Site Sponsor

Post by Slough »

http://www.marinefilters.com

I got the invoice at home, but I think this is it.
Tidedancer
Site Sponsor

Post by Tidedancer »

Go to your local Marine Dealer and get a MarPak stainless steel. They are imported by Donovan Marine (one of my old customers) It is a knock off of all the rest that are out there. Mike's Marine in Panacea has them.
Even mind that Maverick boat company installed was the black powder coated one and it is rusting on the outside and I am replacing it.
chugbug

Post by chugbug »

Get one that you can drain without unscrewing it and put it in a place that is easily accesible like stated before.
Slough
Site Sponsor

Post by Slough »

The Racor you can put a hose on the drain.
Last edited by Slough on January 14th, 2010, 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
robbankston
Site Sponsor

Post by robbankston »

BassPro has a kit for 25 bucks. http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/store ... mber=45681 Anybody have any opinions on this one?
A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week. -George S. Patton
Eerman
Site Sponsor

Post by Eerman »

robbankston wrote:BassPro has a kit for 25 bucks. http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/store ... mber=45681 Anybody have any opinions on this one?
Micron rating is too low...I think its at least a 21 micron that you want to deal with ethanol.
"Why does Sea World have a seafood restaurant?? I'm halfway through my fish burger and I realize, Oh man....I could be eating a slow learner."
Eerman
Site Sponsor

Post by Eerman »

Eerman wrote:
robbankston wrote:BassPro has a kit for 25 bucks. http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/store ... mber=45681 Anybody have any opinions on this one?
Micron rating is too low...I think its at least a 21 micron that you want to deal with ethanol.
Ignore me...I think I've got that completely backazzwards...its been a day. :roll:
"Why does Sea World have a seafood restaurant?? I'm halfway through my fish burger and I realize, Oh man....I could be eating a slow learner."
Slough
Site Sponsor

Post by Slough »

You want a 10 micron rating for ethanol.
robbankston
Site Sponsor

Post by robbankston »

It says that it has a 10 micron rating. Thought I'd pick it up for a little insurance. 25 bucks doesn't seem too bad.
A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week. -George S. Patton