MLK Afternoon Delight

Use this area to post freshwater fishing reports from the area lakes and rivers. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Sir reel
Site Sponsor

MLK Afternoon Delight

Post by Sir reel »

I was fortunate to have the lucky number at the NFGFC Christmas Party and walk away with a new Pflueger Echelon bait caster. Until yesterday, I hadn't had an opportunity to try it out except for the back yard. I already knew that it was gonna produce some distance that I hadn't been able to achieve before and was excited about trying it for real. I had access to a small body of water that I knew had some bass so I headed out about 1pm yesterday. With all the cold weather since the first of the year I was figuring the fish would be pretty slow but I just wanted to try out my outfit. When I reached the water, I took a minute to determine where the sun had been for the longest so far and started on that stretch of the bank. I had tied on a black and sliver skitter walk with a red throat...yea it was topwater but I wanted to see how my rig would cast and retrieve because I felt that it would see more top water than anything else. Third cast... right at the end of the cast... strike ... and this fellow came thrash'n to the bank. (apologize for the pictures they were taken with tracfone)

This gave me a completely new attitude :D I started paying less attention to how the new reel was doing and started fish'n!! I was completely surprised that topwater had produced a strike but continued. Several times I took the skitterwalk off and put on a suspended mirror lure but they didn't like it. I tried a jig with a soft plastic and still no joy. I put the skitterwalk back on and it produced again. In fact, I had 7 topwater strikes and was able to hook up with 3 fish. I saw several follow but they didn't hit it. There were a few milling around the shore almost like they wanted to look for a bed...but that sure seems awful early...but then what the heck do I know. If I hadn't had it in my mind to try topwater, I'd probably have never considered put'n on the skitterwalk. Any way it was a great afternoon...no wind... fish'n the bank like I use to do as a kid ... just me and the dog... had the place to my self. :smt007 Only stayed a couple of hours, and had fish last night for super :lick:
Last edited by Sir reel on January 19th, 2010, 4:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"Good Judgement" comes from experience, ... and a lot of that..... results from "Bad Judgement".
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Re: MLK Afternoon Delight

Post by SHOWBOAT »

topwater bassin'. Nice work SR!
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
BlindHog

Post by BlindHog »

Good job Sir. I bet the next thing you do is start wearing an orange Tennessee Vols hat and talking with a Tennessee twang.
Even a Blind Hog finds an acorn now 'n then...
whitebc
Site Sponsor

Post by whitebc »

:thumbup: :thumbup:
A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the telephone.
RHTFISH
Site Sponsor

Post by RHTFISH »

Skitterwalk .....hmmmmmmmm! Fresh cold water bass make for some good eating! :-D
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.
Sea Dawg
Site Sponsor

Post by Sea Dawg »

one good thing is we didn't have a MLK day down here at Econfina cuz none showed up
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

:thumbup:
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

I fish topwater year round for Bass and do pretty good :thumbup: I just slow things down a bit during the winter :smt004 looks like some danged good eatin ta me :thumbup: :thumbup: :beer:
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Post by DixieReb »

:thumbup: :thumbup: Ya did all right. Nice looking casting rig, did the rod come with it?
Yours in the South
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

Good afternoon DixieReb.
The raffle just provided me with the new Pflueger . The rod (berkly) was one that I had standing in the corner with a shimano catala 200 on it. Took the shimano off and put the Pflueger in it's place. The rod is a bit lighter than I'd like, but the color matched almost perfect...and ya know how important it is ta make a good fashion statement :D
"Good Judgement" comes from experience, ... and a lot of that..... results from "Bad Judgement".