Trailer Tire??

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Trailer Tire??

Post by Sir reel »

If you've seen my post from yesterday you know where I'm at with replacing trailer tires :D

Got a question for any of you who may have found an answer for the following: ..... I've got one of the standard size wheel/tires on my trailer...ST175/80d 13

Now you can find these wheels and tires premounted at several locations. I just don't like the idea of discarding wheels because I haven't found a source for just a replacement tire. Everyone seems to want to sell both. I've ask at a couple of tire shops if they carry that size tire and no one seems to have them. They all say I need to buy new wheels that will accept a automotive type tire and then I can replace just the tire. Being rather independent...(some would even say stuborn :o ) I just don't accept that I can't find just tires for replacement. Somebody has to make e'm! :smt021 I am also wondering if I do find them.... would there be a problem with the wheel's I have fiting on the tire changing equipment ??? cause ole Bud don't want to get involved with changing them by hand! (I may be crazy but aint stupid )
"Good Judgement" comes from experience, ... and a lot of that..... results from "Bad Judgement".
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

Call Big 10 Tire on Cap Circle. Last time I had a tire I couldn't find, they had them.
Tom Keels
Site Founder

Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

Thanks Tom... that was way to easy! :thumbup: I called the Big 10 location on Apalachee parkway and they had one on the shelf and could get more. I also verified that they had no trouble mounting them. I'm not going to post the stores that I visited, but .... folks.... there are some who say it ain't possilbe!
"Good Judgement" comes from experience, ... and a lot of that..... results from "Bad Judgement".
Fish Masterson
Site Sponsor

Post by Fish Masterson »

I bought one in the same size last year at Discount Tire, and they mounted it for me with no problem. However, I believe I am going to switch to radials the next time around. I believe that they will wear better and be more durable. Any one got any opinions on this? I'd like to hear the pro's and con's before I go through with it.
Fish Masterson
CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Post by CSMarine »

I agree 100% about the radials. Wore out a set of "Trailer Tires" fast. Mounted a set of radials that was rated for my boat weight. Had them on for four years. Still plenty of thread left. Tires worn perfecty even up untill I destroyed one of them last weekend with a handful of nails someone left on the road. :evil:
I know five people right now with new boat trailers that are have problems. Especially the Magic Tilt trailers.
Semper Fi
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

Radials here too.....Side walls sag a little, but running strong for about 4 years :thumbup:
Reel Country
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Country »

CSMarine wrote: I know five people right now with new boat trailers that are have problems. Especially the Magic Tilt trailers.
Magic Tilt. Yes very uneven wear and the trailer is only 3 years old. I've been thinking about the radials instead of trailer tires also. Replaced both originals already.
CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Post by CSMarine »

RC, a friend of mine replaced two sets of tires, and am axle, and it still wore uneven. Put the radials on, and havn't had any more problems in the last year.
Semper Fi
RodBow
Site Sponsor

Post by RodBow »

I called Discount to find out about a small 4.80 X 8 - $20 mounted. This is about 2 doz. shrimp cheaper than buying the wheel and tire from Wally.
use your opportunities ...

218 Carolina Skiff
25 Bayliner Deck
Reel Country
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Country »

CS, sounds like what we'll do, since we're getting close to needing a new spare anyway.
Tidedancer
Site Sponsor

Post by Tidedancer »

Trailer OEM's put the least expensive tire on a trailer they can get away with. The marine dealers are only interested in how cheap can I get a trailer to go under the boat I am selling.
That works for most folks. But if it's your second boat you ask a lot of questions about the trailer.
Marine dealers can get the good stuff. But it will cost a little more. So next time you step up to buy that new rig go over the trailer with the dealer and make sure you get the right stuff from the get go.
Boat trailer tires are stronger in the side walls and carry a lot higher air pressure than car tires. BE SURE YOU BUY TRAILER TIRES.
In my book the Goodyear radial trailer tire is the tire of choice for all of the boats in my fleet.
But that is what I do. You have a choice too.
CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Post by CSMarine »

Having two P175/80R13 BF Goodrich, 6 ply radial tires mounted as we speak. The cost was $133. mounted, and balanced. Also replacing bearing buddies. One downfall of using ramp instead of lift. Grease fittings keep rusting up. Replaced fittings once, threads eat up on plactic bearing buddy.
Semper Fi