Wakulla River 1-23

All things dealing with kayaks and kayak fishing.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Talltails

Wakulla River 1-23

Post by Talltails »

Plan A was to go west and do some sightfishing for reds. After watching a beatiful day of weather on Friday go to waste with me grinding it out at work, I had high hopes for today. I woke up this morning, and as usual, the weather was windy for the weekend. Forcast called for southeast, but it was 15-20 out of the east. At least it wasn't in the 20's or raining like the past 6 weekends, so I decided to hit the Wakulla river for some sheepshead fishing. The 6 inches of rain we got on Thursday made the usually clear Wakulla run pretty dark. I think this is better for the fishing, though. Seems like the sheepies are spooked less with the darker water color.
After stopping by Jerry's for a couple dozen shrimp, I hit the river and paddled to my favorite sheepie hole. Pretty soon, the tap tap yielded this little guy
The river was running out pretty good by this point, but I found some structure to hold my bait just right and then they started getting bigger
After weeding through the smallies, I finally started catching the good'ns These guys sure can pull
It's been a while since I did some of this kind of river fishing, but now I remember how relaxing it can be. Just anchored up on a pretty winter day on an even prettier river. I caught a bunch and kept a few for dinner. I just might have to go do this again :mrgreen:
WaltDawg
Site Sponsor

Re: Wakulla River 1-23

Post by WaltDawg »

Nice herding TT
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

Making lemonade with the lemons mother nature gives you :thumbup: :thumbup:
KyTrkyHntr
Site Sponsor

Post by KyTrkyHntr »

:thumbup:
Catch & Release Fish!!!!....... Not Criminals!

Image Image
kneeknocker

Post by kneeknocker »

Nice job. We fished there today also. Caught a few sheepies but nothing that big. Good going.
Last edited by kneeknocker on January 24th, 2010, 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TEAM NO FLUKE!!!
Harmsway
Site Sponsor

Post by Harmsway »

Not baaaad! :D
To fish, or not to fish, . . . those are the answers.