JR's Aucilla River Store...

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

JR's Aucilla River Store...

Post by Steve Stinson »

I've been passing through JR's Aucilla store over the past several years on my fishing adventures and always stop in to talk with him. He has been down and out the past couple of trips do to some new regulations from the State. Evidently, after Jan. 10th of this year, you are supposed to have double-lined fuel storage tanks for your pumps, and JR's didn't qualify. The State came down and dug his tanks up, then shut his gas pumps down.

He didn't make that much revenue off of the gasoline sales, but is very worried that he will lose his business by not being able to offer the gasoline. Please step in there and spend a few bucks if you get the chance. His store is and the hunting / fishing stories that come out of there are a part of history that I would not want to see disappear.

I did an internet search for any govt. programs offering assistance to small business owners in this same situation and found assistance programs / grants available only in New Jersey and Kentucky. I also contacted a friend who works in this area for FDEP and was told "There are a lot of people in the same boat across the State who are choosing to close their business down rather than face the expense of replacing the tanks".

So, in spite of all the govt. bail-outs going around, I haven't been able to find any assistance for him. If any of you have other suggestions, I am all ears.

Thanks - Steve Stinson
jsuber
Site Sponsor

Re: JR's Aucilla River Store...

Post by jsuber »

Same thing at all of the stations. Some have already dug up their old ones but some are just getting to it. The place on the left before going over the Ochlocknee River Bridge is replacing their whole system and adding diesel.
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

JR's is a Aucilla/Econfina icon.
Lets' rally 'round the flag guys. salute3
Stop in at JR's even if you don't need anything and buy a 6-pack or sausage dog and let him know we need him to stay put.
Fuel sales account for very little of his income. Beer,bait and tackle makes the rent.
Get your gas elsewhere.
Make the extra stop at JR's for the local guy.
PLUS, if he is there,he will tell you what is biting where and on what.
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Post by DixieReb »

I'm with yall, I sure would hate to see anything happen to JR'S store. He's always interesting to talk to about fishing, so I'll have to stop in more often when down that way.
Yours in the South
Redbelly
Site Sponsor

Post by Redbelly »

I always stop in and buy from JR.
Work 2 fish 4 days

1988 vintage 1436 Fisher Jon
1992 vintage 15 hp Merc
boggob
Site Sponsor

Post by boggob »

Steve Stinson wrote:I've been passing through JR's Aucilla store over the past several years on my fishing adventures and always stop in to talk with him. He has been down and out the past couple of trips do to some new regulations from the State. Evidently, after Jan. 10th of this year, you are supposed to have double-lined fuel storage tanks for your pumps, and JR's didn't qualify. The State came down and dug his tanks up, then shut his gas pumps down.

FDEP and was told "There are a lot of people in the same boat across the State who are choosing to close their business down rather than face the expense of replacing the tanks".

So, in spite of all the govt. bail-outs going around, I haven't been able to find any assistance for him. If any of you have other suggestions, I am all ears.
Not knocking JR's or JR but notice for the "new" rule has been out for about 18 years. Plus, the State extended the deadline through session to either close the tanks or be under contract to upgrade.

There may be some resources here:

http://www.dep.state.fl.us/waste/catego ... efault.htm
http://www.fpma.org/
http://www.pmaa.org/index.asp
BAD BEHAVIOR
Site Sponsor

Post by BAD BEHAVIOR »

JR's :thumbup: :thumbup:
A wise person pays attention to correction that will improve his life...... Proverbs 15:31 ICB <")))))>*<

TEAM BAD BEHAVIOR
RHTFISH
Site Sponsor

Post by RHTFISH »

JR is a legend in his own time!

Just don't ever make him made...his temper is also legendary! :-D
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

boggob wrote:
Steve Stinson wrote:I've been passing through JR's Aucilla store over the past several years on my fishing adventures and always stop in to talk with him. He has been down and out the past couple of trips do to some new regulations from the State. Evidently, after Jan. 10th of this year, you are supposed to have double-lined fuel storage tanks for your pumps, and JR's didn't qualify. The State came down and dug his tanks up, then shut his gas pumps down.

FDEP and was told "There are a lot of people in the same boat across the State who are choosing to close their business down rather than face the expense of replacing the tanks".

boggob you must be a democrat.
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
bcastleb

Post by bcastleb »

I agree, that would suck for JR to lose his store, There have been many times that I've stopped by and recieved good advice on where and what to fish with. Good guy, good store.
B.Castleberry
boggob
Site Sponsor

Post by boggob »

[/quote]

boggob you must be a democrat.[/quote]

Then you must like gasoline in your well.
Fisherman989
Site Sponsor

Post by Fisherman989 »

I'll stop at his store more and get something. He is a legend there and we ought to support him more. The dog he used to have was truly legendary....and smart too. :P
Flint River Pirate
Site Sponsor

Post by Flint River Pirate »

I have a friend that owns 4 gas stations. He said that the invention of "pay at the pump" killed his business. He said he never made money off gas. His money is made on people buying chips drinks and especially beer. JR has all that stuff and he is in a great spot. I will stop and see him every trip for sure. Not too many American owned and operated buinesses left around. We need to support them.
Team Jolly Mon
Atticus
Site Sponsor

Post by Atticus »

I could always use some more beer. Will stop in.

One Sunday I pulled the boat down to Econfina and before I even got to the state park the fuel light came on. Loooooooong way to the nearest gas station. Econfina store was closed. I went fishing (of course) and came back, loaded up and headed out trying to keep the RPMs down. I was driving down 98, thinking that JRs was closed [Sunday] and wondering if I had enough fuel to get to Wacissa or 363/98. Drive by JRs... he was OPEN! Saved my azz. It would have been embarassing to run dry in the truck with 20gal of unleaded sitting right there in the boat behind me.

On an unrelated note - boggob makes a valid point.
dolphinatic
Advertising Sponsor

Post by dolphinatic »

Nothing like a JR's BBQ sammich and a cold one after a long day of hauling in fish :lick: Good guy :thumbup:
"Death and life are in the power of the tongue: and they that love it shall eat the fruit thereof." Proverbs 18:21

Team BevisRealty.com