gettin skinny any suggestions?

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

blue22

gettin skinny any suggestions?

Post by blue22 »

I have a 18'6 key west bay reef and I'm realizing I may have bought the wrong boat, but it's too late, my wife would kill me if I told her I needed a different one. Anyway I love fishing for reds and often I can't get as skinny as I need to be. I am looking for any sugguestions as to how to make my boat get into the really shallow stuff. Any ideas?
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Re: gettin skinny any suggestions?

Post by Jumptrout51 »

5 gallons of fuel...no anchor...no food or drink...no bait...no rods...no net... one battery...a full high tide.
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
RC
Site Sponsor

Post by RC »

buy you a kayak and put it in your key west. Park the key west in an area you want to fish and splash the kayak.

or sell the key west and buy you a Carolina skiff or a high tech poling skiff.

or build you one of these http://bateau.com/proddetail.php?prod=XF20
WaltDawg
Site Sponsor

Post by WaltDawg »

Incoming tide helps for me. Mine drafts 11 inches and I can get skinny enough. You can always push off an oyster bar or push it out of the grass if you need to.
Charles
Site Sponsor

Post by Charles »

Along with what RC said, but look at the 1st, 3rd and 4th boats on this page. If the wife asks what you're building you can always flip it upside-down and tell her it's a 14' coffee table.
http://bateau.com/products.php?cat=28

For the least hassle and expense you could shop around for a used canoe or kayak.
big bend gyrene

Post by big bend gyrene »

Blue22, unless you're ONLY going to fish for reds and are looking to enter creek mouths I must be missing something. I fish both offshore and inshore out of a 22' Panga and I've caught double digit reds more than once and RARELY get skunked if I run in to grab one. I do pick my times carefully and as I run out of Econfina I'm careful not to let the water get under 1.5' before I head for the ramp.

The above said, finding the right spots is what you have to do... quite a few out there you can approach and snag a red off in your boat. If you don't have spots you trust, give Jumptrout a call... :wink:

Only would be thinking about another boat if you're looking to do some hardcore redfish tourney fishing... otherwise you CAN definitely find enough to get your limit. :thumbup: :beer:
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
Reel Cowboy
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Cowboy »

If you're worried about dinking up your boat, you could always get a Matthew's Fishin' Styx launcher and cast to where you can't go.
In the words of the great Doc Holliday, "I'll be your huckleberry"
What a mess

Post by What a mess »

Put a Porter rock gaurd on you KW and go slow I also would suggest a keel gaurd.
Captain Pat Mc Griff goes all the way to the bank and in the creek at times with a Parker that drafts more then you do for sure. Most days he gets his Reds. If the tide is rolling out anchor off the end of the bars. Or ease up to the bar and get out and wade. I have broke props, skeg gaurds, & punched holes in my skiff it has more to do with the driver. I am getting better but it is part of the game. Also two of the best I know fish a 24 Ranger bay & a 22 Skeeter bay both need more water than I do them boys get plenty of Reds and seen em get Kings on the same day.
Yesterday it was taboo today it is normal what the heck will they be doing tomorrow?
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

This may help :o

Harmsway
Site Sponsor

Post by Harmsway »

Blue22, you know its hard to get one boat to do everything well. Well, except for Big Bend Gyrene's Panga.

Sounds like you've found where you want to spend 80% of your time on the water, skinny for Reds.

Hey, man, trade that awesome Key West to somebody with an awesome poling skiff that wishes he had bought a bay/reef boat.
To fish, or not to fish, . . . those are the answers.
Barhopr
Site Sponsor

Post by Barhopr »

I don't think you could get the K/W light enough to really fish skinny. you're gonna have to leave the troller at home and get on the pole.
VIVA la BT

Image_______________Image
big bend gyrene

Post by big bend gyrene »

Harmsway wrote:Blue22, you know its hard to get one boat to do everything well. Well, except for Big Bend Gyrene's Panga.
Harmsway, could have sworn I remembered you saying some time back you had a panga too? :smt102 ;-)
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
Harmsway
Site Sponsor

Post by Harmsway »

Darn tootin', BBG. :smt023 I'm not knockin your Panga. Just jabbin a fellow pangamaniac (friendly-like). :smt006 Definitely as close as it gets to go-anywhere do-anything affordable coastal fishing boat. Doubt Blue22 is gonna find any panga-owner willing to trade.
To fish, or not to fish, . . . those are the answers.
boggob
Site Sponsor

Post by boggob »

Mothership a kayak, park and wade, get a gheenoe.
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

Hire Helga as your personal fitness trainer. She weighs in at 300 lbs of muscle, has the face of an old boston terrier and she is always horny. Guaranteed to chase the weight off of you!
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!