Who's Porter

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

kneeknocker

Who's Porter

Post by kneeknocker »

And how do I get a rock guard? How does everyone like theirs? Has anyone had any experience with them in actual (hitting a rock) use? I have a 90 yamaha does one size fit all? Thanks for the help!
TEAM NO FLUKE!!!
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Re: Who's Porter

Post by Jumptrout51 »

Yes they work. They are custom made for your motor.
They are rock guards not rock proof.
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
Gulf Coast
Site Sponsor

Post by Gulf Coast »

THAT'S MR. PORTER TO YOU SIR.WAIVEL PORTER IN WOODVILLE AND IT'S BETTER THAN NOTHING. I THINK IT'S A CUSTOM FIT JOB, BUT HE MAY HAVE SOME BUILT FOR THAT SIZE ALREADY. NOTHING IS GOING TO SAVE YOUR FOOT IF YOU HIT A ROCK, BEST TO STAY A SAFE DISTANCE. PORTER MARINE IN THE PHONE BOOK OR WAIVEL PORTER 421---- OFF ELGIN RD.HAVING SAID ALL THIS I DO NOT OWN ONE LIKE I SAID IF YOU HIT A ROCK ON PLAIN IT ANI'T GOING TO BE PRETTY.
kneeknocker

Post by kneeknocker »

I understand that hitting a rock will mess things up and how bad depends on speed, but on idol and you hit a rock do they help or do I then just have a craked skeg being held on by the guard?
TEAM NO FLUKE!!!
Gulf Coast
Site Sponsor

Post by Gulf Coast »

NEVER CRACKED A SKEG ON IDLE ,WORST THING THER IS A S/S PROP
kneeknocker

Post by kneeknocker »

Thanks everyone.
TEAM NO FLUKE!!!
DriftingSun

Post by DriftingSun »

Hit a nice one last year and ripped off half the skeg, bent the prop shaft and well, I prolly don't need to tell ya what the prop looked like.

Thanks to BBF I knew of Mr. Porter and of his fine reputation, as well as that of his custom made rock guards.
Mr. Porter fixed me up sure as shootin' in fine, EXTREMELY fair fashion. Could even say MORE than fair. And quick too.

Now I know full well if I hit another lump o' that lovely Apalachee Bay limestone at 30 knots or so, (yeah, pass the idiot cap)
my new Porter Rock Guard t'aint gonna help much but I think the idea is if you only run where you should and then put 'er down and putt putt the rest of time, you are much more likely to have these limestone rendezvous at low speeds, where the rock guard is probably gonna go a long way towards saving your lower unit and hence your wallet and hence your marriage.

Lots of thanks to BBF and Mr. Porter
Last edited by DriftingSun on February 18th, 2010, 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

On idle or even a fast idle "THEY" work.
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
Reel Cowboy
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Cowboy »

If your hauling arse, ain't nothing going to help you. But if you're idling around and bump into something you'll be fine (with one). They're all custom built and fitted to your motor.
In the words of the great Doc Holliday, "I'll be your huckleberry"
Bow'd Up

Post by Bow'd Up »

Just got mine back from Mr. Porter. He built me a rock guard, installed a fuel/water separator, and new baitwell pump. Very reasonable $$$$ for all work done. I knocked a nice chunk out of my skeg last year at high idle, he repaired that when he put the rock guard on. The rock guard will definately help at speeds as fast as a high idle, but if you hit a rock hauling arse you are probably running where you should not be anyway and you better have good insurance.
What a mess

Post by What a mess »

I have had some hard hits at faster than idle speed I can't see a mark on my Porter Gaurd
Yesterday it was taboo today it is normal what the heck will they be doing tomorrow?
reelcatch

Post by reelcatch »

I have one on my 25 hp Merc and hit rocks at wide open throttle. Thought the motor was coming in the boat. Rock guard held up very well. It bent a little and the skeg bent but without it I would have taken out the whole foot. Will not run my motor without one!!! In the rivers and flats of coarse. Can't say enough about them and he is very fair on price as well. Oh yeah and when I went back to have it fixed, no problem in and out quick and again very reasonable on price. He really stands behind em.