Feb 16-18 SGI area

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

akasephiroth

Feb 16-18 SGI area

Post by akasephiroth »

Went into work monday night expected to work monday, tue and off wen. Boss came to me and said take tue wen thurs off and come back work this weekend...Time to get the familly and hit the cost. Went down to SGI tue morning as soon as i got off work, wife drove i slept. When we got there it was about 42 degrees and we thought not too bad but not to great eather, Headed over to rent a boat and was told due to high swells they where not renting out any boats. So headed to Eastpoint under the apalachee bridge. Didnt take long before i gave up there with 20+ mile wind gust it makes 40 fill like 20...Headed to the SGI peir to put the wind to our back but 3hr's later and cold as hell we headed to the hotal and check in, Hot cup of coffee to warm us up and then hit the beach. Around sunset we cought a whitting and that was it.

Wen temp was higher winds where lower and we hoped the fish where biting better, hit up the apalachee bridge agian but found out fast winds where lower but still to strong, tossed cast net out on the SGI bridge in hopes for a few early morning sheepies but nothing so we hit the beach agian fish for a few on the beach and go to the room to warm up/grab a bit to eat, fish didnt wanna eat but it wasnt gonna stop me. Ended wen with a total of 8 whitting and load of fustration but hell we got to go to the cost right?

Thurs temps started off in the 50's wind was clam to 5 miles and we had to get ready to head home... Hit the beach first thing before we checked out and in 3hr made the trip worth it, 28 whitting was the final count before we loaded the cooler up. On the way home we stoped at the SGI peir in hopes to get a sheepie, put a line in for 2hrs but nothing before calling it i pull out my cast net and bring in the first sheepie, another 2 or 3 cast produced 3 mullet and a 2nd sheep, (noted: i chumed the waters where i would be casting my net with barnicales i scraped off the pileings under the apalachee bridge durning low tide, i chumed the waters around noon and cought the sheepies in the net around 3pm). When i relized i had cought all i was gonna catch in my net there i took it down to the apalachee bridge where i pulled another 2 Sheepies, and a short red.

Total fish count:
Sheep head: 4
Whitting: 28
Mullet: 3
Short red: 1

List of things forgoten on this trip:
Chairs, Talkle box (yes I accully forgot it, Although guys at fisherman choice on eastpoint problly didnt mind the fact), Camera, Can openner for the can foods we brought to snack on (once we found a can opener we relized we also forgot bread and crackers for the tuna and caned ham), a knife, a pair of needle nose, and I forgot drivers licence (you know how much of a pain it is to have your wife drive you all over the place on a fishing trip?), and lastly fishing chair's, 4hrs on the beach sitting on a bucket will make me remember them for sure next time.
Charlie P
Site Sponsor

Re: Feb 16-18 SGI area

Post by Charlie P »

Nice report :thumbup:
HewesDawg

Re: Feb 16-18 SGI area

Post by HewesDawg »

Ha! You should have listed the things you remembered it would have been shorter. Sounds like a fun trip though. Hope to head down there soon.