Fuel Line/Gas Tank ?

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

High Hope
Site Sponsor

Fuel Line/Gas Tank ?

Post by High Hope »

I have a 40hp Yamaha, just tuned up and ran great out of water. Hooked her up to line and tank in boat and not getting gas. Is my problem in the line/line fitings/primer bulb, or in the tank/fiting. The old bulb was a little stiff when priming this time. So my question is there any test for line I can make to see if I have good flow. Any test for tank/fiting? I may just start with a new primer bulb, and go from there. Hate to buy new tank and fitings if not needed. Any help/ideas?
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Re: Fuel Line/Gas Tank ?

Post by Jumptrout51 »

Was your tank vent open?
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
FUTCHCAIRO

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

PUT A NEW BULB AND LINE ON, DO LIKE JT SAID, BE SURE THE VENT IS OPEN.
PA THE OLD MAN OF THE SEA :smt006 salute2
FUTCHCAIRO
FlatCrazy

Post by FlatCrazy »

If you replace the bulb and line make sure you get ones that are now designed to be used with E/10. I looked at some a few weeks ago over at Panama Marine. The insides will not desolve and clog your carbs like the old "E/10 resistent" lines and bulbs did a few years ago.
turtlecat
Site Sponsor

Post by turtlecat »

Make sure the bracket on top of the fuel tank is not dry rotted and cracked. My 96 johnson 40 was doing the same thing when I noticed the cracks. The engine was getting way to much air and would not run. I used a 2 part epoxy and sealed the cracks, never had another problem since. FlatCrazy opened a whole other problem for everyone on this website! What in the hell are us boat owners gonna do to stop E/10 from ruinning our outboards, lawnmowers, generators, chainsaws, weed eaters, blowers, or any other gas powered toy or tool we own. I also hear they (whoever they be) are proposing E/15. My boat mechanic is replacing the fuel rail in 5 four stoke motors due to the effects of ethenol, not a cheap fix. What do we do guys?
TurtleCat
robbankston
Site Sponsor

Post by robbankston »

You can stick a little something (like a small screwdriver) down in the end of the connector to see if gas is flowing. Should spurt. If it were me I'd probably replace it though since you are already in doubt. Fairly inexpensive easy and quick.
A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week. -George S. Patton
High Hope
Site Sponsor

Post by High Hope »

Vent was open. I'll try a new line and bulb. Thanks, and I had not thouht about E10 clogging the line. I'll be sure to run the gas out of line and engine when I flush w/muffs.
robbankston
Site Sponsor

Post by robbankston »

If it is a two smoker then some say its best not to run out all the fuel because then you loose the lubrication. I just try and run mine every few weeks. Keeps it from getting gummed up.
A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week. -George S. Patton