Help. Local Knowledge Please.

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

ValFitzAndrew

Help. Local Knowledge Please.

Post by ValFitzAndrew »

I am going to fish around Keaton Beach next week. Would yu'll please give some info on water temps and bait used. I will be fishing the FCKA tourney and would like to catch trout, redfish and flounder. Any help on location to fish would be much appreciated.
flounderpounder
Site Sponsor

Re: Help. Local Knowledge Please.

Post by flounderpounder »

Flounder have not showed up yet in good numbers but the reds and trout have been getting better by the day. Try using a 6" DOA glow Jerk bait with a Slayer weedless weighted hook for the trout and a Aqua Dream spoons are still working for the reds. I think this week or next topwater should pick up, I caught a nice overslot red on a superspook last week which was a good sign!
Good luck at the tourney it should be a good time.
Liam
ValFitzAndrew

Post by ValFitzAndrew »

Thanks!!
troutfisher07

Post by troutfisher07 »

Hey Brother,
Havent been down yet this year but this time of the year the water temp is gonna be between 58 and maybe luck to see as high as 63 but not likely! the reds are gonna be shallow more than likely with the trout, and they are gonna be after baitfish primarily but you can catch both on "Gulp" shrimp! Most guys will argue that this time of year but the only thing i can tell them is to look in my box!! you know!?? however i would try some jerk baits and and some spooks! the flounder are there they are just very slow, i start picking up on them in about may! if you dont do that great come back and see us in about 3 weeks! when the dogwoods start blooming thats the sign to start ridin on those flats buddy! if you can pick up on some pin fish with your ultra lite or bream buster you can put about a 3 finger size on a circle hook behind the boat and should get a good gator trout! hope this helps brother!!

Mike
ValFitzAndrew

Post by ValFitzAndrew »

As to the return trip, much as I would like to, it is probably out of the question until early November on my return trip from the West Coast in the RV. This trip is scheduled by the FCKA and when they run their tournament. Fished out of Chockalooski Isl. mid Feb. The wind whistled, the water was cool and the Everglades bite slow. One Red, one Spec and one Cormorant. All belonged to the wife of the couple fishing with me. Last year the tourney was cancelled due to wind, 35-40 gusting higher. I fished all day in a protected cteek. My pal cought catfish and I cought zip. The day prior had a very nice Spec but that doesnt count. I won a stakeout pole in the drawing so I didn't come away empty handed. I depart for FL in 3 hours!

Many thanks tf07 for the info.

Val