Project Boat

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Project Boat

Post by CSMarine »

Some folks are a sucker for stray dogs. I guess I'm just a sucker for old boats ready for the burn pile. Seems just as I finish one, another one falls out of the sky into my yard, (much to the displeasure of my poor but understanding wife.)
This ones a 1983 Bradford 14 foot skiff. Been painted with brown house paint, wired with 14/2 romex used in a house. Not a stainless piece of hardware on the boat, just rusty nubs where screws used to be. Foot and a half of oak leaves piles inside.

However, I see a nice little boat for fishing the shallows underneath all that crud. Got a little 35hp Evenrude that will work fine on her. So here we go again.
Attachments
010.jpg
010.jpg (79.78 KiB) Viewed 3407 times
Semper Fi
wevans
Site Sponsor

Re: Project Boat

Post by wevans »

Well, I hope they at least used exterior house paint on it :-D that should make a fine flats/river boat :thumbup: :beer:
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Post by CSMarine »

First update. Down to the original gelcoat on the outside. Lots and lots of sanding. Tried heavy duty paint remover. Didn't phase it. Have a stick steering system to use with it. STAY TUNED!
014.jpg
014.jpg (84.88 KiB) Viewed 3256 times
Semper Fi
Flint River Pirate
Site Sponsor

Post by Flint River Pirate »

:pop_1
Team Jolly Mon
rocket
Site Sponsor

Post by rocket »

Hull looks similar to a Dixon Bateau :thumbup:
Stay Thirsty My Friends
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Post by fishinfool »

salute3 Oooh Rah!
RHTFISH
Site Sponsor

Post by RHTFISH »

Sure does remind me of my STRIKE TWO Dixon! :-D
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.
Fighting Conch
Site Sponsor

Post by Fighting Conch »

I like it.
rocket
Site Sponsor

Post by rocket »

Update????
Stay Thirsty My Friends
CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Post by CSMarine »

O:K, update. Outside ready to paint. Started on inside and ran into a nightmare. Front deck is raised about nine inches above the main deck. It is sealed with floatation underneath. PROBLEM: It leaked somewhere and the cavity filled with water. I had to cut an access hole in the deck to pump the water out. 9" high x 48" wide x 54" long filled to the brim with water. Floatation consisted of packing popcorn! Removed all that crap, dried it out, replaced one stringer, (other two were fine.) Deck wood rotten, needs to be replaced.
Same thing with the back seat area. Underneath where the back set is was supposed to be sealed with floatation. It was full of water and wood framing was rotted. Also full of starfoam shipping popcorn. Drained about seven gallons of water from there also. Now I'm rebuilding front deck and rear seat area and pouring two-part expandable foatation in both area's.
Attachments
019.jpg
019.jpg (29.75 KiB) Viewed 3040 times
015.jpg
015.jpg (33.09 KiB) Viewed 3042 times
Semper Fi
Flint River Pirate
Site Sponsor

Post by Flint River Pirate »

Man, that is going to be a very col littl boat when you finish.
Team Jolly Mon
CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Post by CSMarine »

I know. :thumbup: It's rated for 4 people or 850 pounds. Big compartment on right is livewell, one on left is storage, one in the back is a built-in insulated ice chest. Even with all the water under the deck, I put it in the water to see how it floated. I had three people in it and it sat high in the water. Going to be a great salt water creek and shallow water boat. My 35hp Evinrude with stick steering ought to work great on it. It's rated for a 35hp.

salute2
Semper Fi
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Post by fishinfool »

I bet it is a ton lighter with all that water and soggy popcorn removed. Are you going to replace the popcorn with expandable foam? Looks like a fun and rewarding project. Did you ever fix the steering problem with the motor?
Keep moving,fast slow and at odd angles,
FF
CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Post by CSMarine »

Hey FF,
I poured two part expandable foam yesterday. Laid the plywood down for the decking with screws and 3M 4200 adhesive on the new stringers. Should be fiberglassing tomorrow. Havn't worked on the steering yet for the 35. Got all my cables set up and control mounts fabricated out of aluminum. I'm guessing 75-100 pounds less weight now. I'm looking forward to getting in the water, hopfully in the next two weeks. Already got my paint in. It's Easypoxy platinum gray.

salute2
Last edited by CSMarine on April 22nd, 2010, 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Semper Fi
rocket
Site Sponsor

Post by rocket »

Nice
Stay Thirsty My Friends