New boat owner

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

pontoon_dude

New boat owner

Post by pontoon_dude »

Hey all, I was directed here from ttop_guy who is a member on tallahasseegunforum.com. I am a brand new boat owner. Just bought a Palm Beach Castmaster 180 18foot Pontoon Boat with a 40 horse merc. Force to enjoy the summer on and possibly get back into fishing (which I have not done since I was about 10-15 years old).

So I'm trying to weed my way through the endless options off rods and reels and frankly have no clue where to start. I'm left handed so I would prefer a lefty reel, which I know most open face reels can be changed to work left handed, and I know some baitcaster reels are lefty. But I've been told avoid Baitcaster reels for just starting out/getting back into it. I was told if you cast a baitcaster wrong you'll end up with a giant rat's nest in your hands. I'm not looking to spend much money on the first setup ~$20-50...Then If it's something I want to stick with I'll pony up the $$ for a nicer rig.

But any way Here I am....Any advice would be appreciated. Ohhh BTW most of my fishing will be done in Freshwater and Brackish Water I'd say less then 5% of the time will be salt!

Thanks,
Last edited by pontoon_dude on April 13th, 2010, 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flint River Pirate
Site Sponsor

Re: New boat owner

Post by Flint River Pirate »

Welcome pontoon_dude. If I were you I would go to www.basspro.com and buy one of the Basspro brand spinning reel combos. You can pick up one for around $30 and they are decent quality. Good luck and enjoy yourself!!
Team Jolly Mon
CairoTrout
Site Sponsor

Post by CairoTrout »

We have daiwa dshocks for 29.99. Also you buy one get one free. So that nets out at 15.00 each
All things are possible when you turn your life to Jesus.If you don't know how just ask.
pontoon_dude

Post by pontoon_dude »

CairoTrout wrote:We have daiwa dshocks for 29.99. Also you buy one get one free. So that nets out at 15.00 each

I'm assuming your in Cairo?
pontoon_dude

Post by pontoon_dude »

Well I just went to Wally World and picked up a Rhino MH rod with a Glow Tip, and a Zebco 733 reel. It was in my price range so we shall see if we can catch something decent!
Last edited by pontoon_dude on April 6th, 2010, 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RHTFISH
Site Sponsor

Post by RHTFISH »

Welcome aboard! TTopGuy is a really nice guy and won't steer you wrong! Don't worry about salt water....there's not much around these days due to all
the rain recently.
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

The 733 is a nice reel :thumbup: the only thing you have to watch is the drag will start to stick after a couple trips :thumbdown: I lost many a fish cause I didn't work the drag some before casting out :smt012
Welcome aboard :smt006 :beer:
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
ttop_guy
Site Sponsor

Post by ttop_guy »

Glad to see you made it and congrats on the new ride! :thumbup:
CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Post by CSMarine »

You being left handed, how's that Zebco 33 gonna work out for you? Don't think they make a left handed 33 do they? The Rhino rod is a great rod. I keep a few around for my grand-kids to use. They take a lot of abuse. (The rods, not my grand-kids) ;-) Just try to stay away from the two section rods they make. They can be a pain in the butt after they get a little wear on them.
Welcome to this site, stay tuned as much as you can. Some of the most savy fishing folks you'll ever meet hang out here, and they don't hesitate to share their knowledge. :thumbup:
Semper Fi
FUTCHCAIRO

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

YOU NEED TO COME UP TO SOUTH GEORGIA OUTDOORS AND GET THE DEAL THEY HAVE ON BUYING ONE AND GET ONE FREE, CANT BEAT THAT.
PA THE OLD MAN OF THE SEA :smt006 salute2 SEMPER FI
FUTCHCAIRO
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

The 733 can be a lefty or a righty :thumbup: :beer:
733 Authentic™
• Ball-bearing drive
• Selective multi-stop anti-reverse
• Dual ceramic pickup pins
• Dial-adjustable drag
• Changeable right or left retrieve
• Corrosion-proof stainless steel covers
• Pre-spooled with 20-pound monofilament

I would take out that pre-spooled line and put some 14# or 17# Spiderwire Super Mono XXX in it :thumbup: :thumbup: :beer:
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
pontoon_dude

Post by pontoon_dude »

CSMarine wrote:You being left handed, how's that Zebco 33 gonna work out for you? Don't think they make a left handed 33 do they? The Rhino rod is a great rod. I keep a few around for my grand-kids to use. They take a lot of abuse. (The rods, not my grand-kids) ;-) Just try to stay away from the two section rods they make. They can be a pain in the butt after they get a little wear on them.
Welcome to this site, stay tuned as much as you can. Some of the most savy fishing folks you'll ever meet hang out here, and they don't hesitate to share their knowledge. :thumbup:

the 733 reel is reversible for us south paw's....=) I put it on the rod, and swapped it over last night....Easy as Pie....
boggob
Site Sponsor

Post by boggob »

Those D-Shox aren't too bad for el cheapos! That is a good deal. :thumbup:
CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Post by CSMarine »

SEE! You learn something every day on this site. Been using 733 reels for about 50 years are so, (first was a 404, then graduated to a 33, then to a big boy 808 for salt water.) Course I'm right handed, never had the occasion to need a left handed reel. Back in the late 1960's I knew some folks who used left handed ciggaretes though. :lol:
Semper Fi
BAD BEHAVIOR
Site Sponsor

Post by BAD BEHAVIOR »

Wow.
A wise person pays attention to correction that will improve his life...... Proverbs 15:31 ICB <")))))>*<

TEAM BAD BEHAVIOR