Oil Spill Clean up volunteers

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Chalk

Oil Spill Clean up volunteers

Post by Chalk »

If you interested in helping please sign up at http://www.volunteermatch.org/search/opp675370.jsp

More information in the attached document.
oilspillpr3.doc
(44 KiB) Downloaded 93 times
Didn't take me a minute to sign up :thumbup: :thumbup:
BayGator

Re: Oil Spill Clean up volunteers

Post by BayGator »

I heard in the Gulf County meeting this morning that once the oil hits the shore, you have to be hazmat certified to help in the cleanup. This is something I found while researching the hazmat sites.

Basic Spill Training - The basic training required for oil spill clean up workers is a 24 hour HAZWOPER class. HAZWOPER stands for Hazardous Waste Operations and Emergency Response. The training grew out of the Superfund Amendments Reauthorization Act (SARA) and is meant to ensure the safety of workers involved in hazardous waste cleanup activities. There has been some guidance from OSHA that says during post-emergency response operations, workers may be allowed to participate in a cleanup with less than 24 hours of training (29 CFR 1910.120(q)(11)). This exception would involve beach cleanup operations that have permissible exposure limits and a pose a minimal health risk of skin absorption to workers. This provision accounts for the crash courses conducted by response agencies looking for emergency help on a spill. A number of agencies arranged volunteer training in the aftermath of the Cosco Busan.

Read more at Suite101: Training for Oil Spill Volunteers: Volunteer Responder Opportunities Depend on Proper Certification http://pollution-control.suite101.com/a ... z0mt61DXje
Charles
Site Sponsor

Post by Charles »

HAZWOPER training can be a bright, shiny bullet on a resume. :thumbup:
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

I saw "hazwoper" on a resume in BB's truck one time.
I am told he lied on his resume.
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
Scoop Sea
Site Sponsor

Post by Scoop Sea »

BayGator wrote:I heard in the Gulf County meeting this morning that once the oil hits the shore, you have to be hazmat certified to help in the cleanup. This is something I found while researching the hazmat sites.

Basic Spill Training - The basic training required for oil spill clean up workers is a 24 hour HAZWOPER class. HAZWOPER stands for Hazardous Waste Operations and Emergency Response. The training grew out of the Superfund Amendments Reauthorization Act (SARA) and is meant to ensure the safety of workers involved in hazardous waste cleanup activities. There has been some guidance from OSHA that says during post-emergency response operations, workers may be allowed to participate in a cleanup with less than 24 hours of training (29 CFR 1910.120(q)(11)). This exception would involve beach cleanup operations that have permissible exposure limits and a pose a minimal health risk of skin absorption to workers. This provision accounts for the crash courses conducted by response agencies looking for emergency help on a spill. A number of agencies arranged volunteer training in the aftermath of the Cosco Busan.

Read more at Suite101: Training for Oil Spill Volunteers: Volunteer Responder Opportunities Depend on Proper Certification http://pollution-control.suite101.com/a ... z0mt61DXje

This is a hot issue down range at this time, that is trying to be addressed up in DC. Nobody wants to stand in the way of folks wanting to help out. I expect that more information concerning the issues noted above will be forthcoming. To date, there are over 9000 volunteers signed up, 5000 plus in Al, 3000 in Ms and 1500 in Fl. As the trajections keep moving potential impacts towards FL, I am sure that number will grow. Thanks for those folks who are volunteering. By the end of the week (and most likely by Thursday) the USCG, BP, and EPA will have a liaison rep in each County EOC (along the coast) that has been activated. I would recommend you reach out to those EOC's for all of your questions pertaining to this response, i.e. volunteering, signing up as a Vessel of Opportunity (ie working), cleanup operations, etc. Hazwopper will come in to play a lot heavier for folks wanting to work this spill. As you probably have seen by now, BP allocated 25 million to each state for Block Grants, so that the States could actively move forward ensuring that they could obtain the resources necessary to protect their resources, in the event that they were not protected already. Like BP or the Feds or not, either way, all resources necessary are being deployed to try and help mitigate this spill to the best extent possible.

On a side note, look for a ramping up of responders further east in Florida this week. Sorry for any mispelled words, it's late and I am tired. Fish now......
"Be Careful Not To Confuse Motion With Progress."
boggob
Site Sponsor

Post by boggob »