Oil spill trajectory forecast- USF computer model

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

bman

Oil spill trajectory forecast- USF computer model

Post by bman »

No way to be happy about the situation but it looks like we will be spared the worst of it for a time.
Links Updated:

Zoom in:
http://ocg6.marine.usf.edu/~zheng/resea ... index.html

The larger gulf with water temps:
http://ocg6.marine.usf.edu/~liu/Drifter ... t_roms.htm
Last edited by bman on May 11th, 2010, 7:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
Flint River Pirate
Site Sponsor

Re: Oil spill trajectory forecast- USF computer model

Post by Flint River Pirate »

It makes me literally sick to my stomache. :smt010
Team Jolly Mon
big bend gyrene

Post by big bend gyrene »

Bman, found a site with several models. Most look good for our neck of the woods with one a bit less favorable.
http://ocgweb.marine.usf.edu/models.html

I found this article particularly interesting... haven't heard anything nearly as optimistic (professor saying our odds of seeing oil are "very low") in the doom & gloom main stream media. Let's keep our fingers and toes crossed he's right. :beer:
http://blogs.creativeloafing.com/dailyl ... -very-low/
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

If you check out the first link that BBG provided and then click the last one on that site it goes out to May 9th...looks pretty scary!
"Good Judgement" comes from experience, ... and a lot of that..... results from "Bad Judgement".
Dubble Trubble
Site Sponsor

Post by Dubble Trubble »

Although I do not like this one bit, as I love fishing, I would like to point out that unless you ride a horse, we are all a part of the problem. Even bicycles use rubber tires derived from oil products.

I have no solution, but everyone jumping on the oil companies is getting old.

What would YOU do today if the oil companies just shut down. Think about it. Talking about biting the hand that feeds you.

Just like you may hook your buddy with an errant cast now and then, accidents do happen. We are human and oil rigs are run and built by humans. But nowadays, someone has to hang for any kind of accident it seems.

I have no solution to the energy problems we have, but just throwing this out there as food for thought.

Dubble
Last edited by Dubble Trubble on May 4th, 2010, 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
The more I know about something, the more I know that I did not know as much as I thought I knew that I knew.
FUTCHCAIRO

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

BBG, BMAN, & BUD, THANKS FOR THE SITES YOU GAVE AS WELL AS COMMENTS, THAT LOOKS A LOT BETTER THAN WHAT NBC, CBS, AND CNN ARE SHOWING AND SAYING. ABOUT THE ONLY PLACE I CAN FIND A TRUE MESSAGE ON ANYTHING IS ON THIS FORUM AND FOX NEWS, THE REST OF THAT GARBAGE BEING SPREAD AROUND IS 90 % FALSE.
THANKS AGAIN.
PA THE OLD MAN OF HE SEA :smt006 salute2 SEMPER FI
FUTCHCAIRO
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

Dubble Trubble wrote:Although I do not like this one bit, as I love fishing, I would like to point out that unless you ride a horse, we are all a part of the problem. Even bicycles use rubber tires derived from oil products.

What would YOU do today if the oil companies just shut down. Think about it. Talking about biting the hand that feeds you.

Just like you may hook your buddy with an errant cast now and then, accidents do happen. We are human and oil rigs are run and built by humans. But nowadays, someone has to hang for any kind of accident it seems.

I have no solution to the energy problems we have, but just throwing this out there as food for thought.

Dubble
salute1
Tidedancer
Site Sponsor

Post by Tidedancer »

Dubble Trubble wrote:Although I do not like this one bit, as I love fishing, I would like to point out that unless you ride a horse, we are all a part of the problem. Even bicycles use rubber tires derived from oil products.

Dubble
Confucius say: Dubble Trubble knows he' jit'
BAD BEHAVIOR
Site Sponsor

Post by BAD BEHAVIOR »

Chalk wrote:

Dubble
salute1
What he said :smt009 We as a society always look for someone to throw under the proverbial bus. Unless we all go to paddling kayaks and toteing them down there on a foot powered land vessel of some kind, not much we can really say. I dont know about you guys but I enjoy being "spoiled". Truth be told, there arent many of us that would willingly give up our fossil fuel driven vehicles. It is what it is. Like others have said, If you dont like it, come up with a viable solution. Ill be the first in line to be your customer. :thumbup:
A wise person pays attention to correction that will improve his life...... Proverbs 15:31 ICB <")))))>*<

TEAM BAD BEHAVIOR
ropeman

Post by ropeman »

I'm glad I saw this post. A guy I work with just said his wife's friend that lives in Panama City says there's clumps of oil showing up on the beach already. I told him to stop spreading lies like our typical news is doing. He sounded like chicken little!
big bend gyrene

Way to early to say anything too favorable... but... curious, anybody else following the models? Not going to tempt fate saying what the future might hold... but interesting for sure what it's done (and not done) thus far.
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
scottgor

Post by scottgor »

Like most Ive been monitoring and worried as hell about our local waters. My main concern is deployment of booms to preserve areas like St Marks, Apalachicola, you name it. Here is the link to the FWC Oil Spill page. If anyone else has more knowledge of volunteer efforts for this section of coast please post. There is a number I may call later today to see what we as a group here in Leon and Jefferson ect. should be readying for/doing.

http://myfwc.com/NEWSROOM/Resources/New ... _Index.htm
bman

Post by bman »

Bump-

This is showing how far its spread... Unreal!
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
big bend gyrene

bman wrote:Bump- This is showing how far its spread... Unreal!
Agreed, Bman, and the forecast for the next few days aren't looking particularly favorable for the Pensacola to Panama City area. Sure hoping they can get the leak stopped soon -- the scientist are debating about 4 different scenarios regarding future wind / current patterns but for those of us who live/fish here, bet most would agree the vast majority of summer fronts we have that come through push from the southwest up towards the northeast...
big bend gyrene

Either I'm going crazy or they really adjusted the forecasts a great deal today... not that I'm complaining on the changes.