Anyone have any tips on using a freeline?

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Jonny Topside

Anyone have any tips on using a freeline?

Post by Jonny Topside »

The Kings cut my mono leader, the Cobia hate the wire. Do circles work better than Jhooks when using a freeline? How should I have my drag set in this situation? Any help is much appriciated.
FMI

Re: Anyone have any tips on using a freeline?

Post by FMI »

When I lived on the East coast and fished offshore only we ran circle hooks. A lot of fish would hook themselves but you wouldn't have pulled hooks like you would with J's or fish you intended release gut hooked. As for the drag We always ran it as light as you could without it causing backlash during a big run before you could tighten the drag. Are you running using spinning reels? If so a baitrunner setup is the way to go. You can try heavier mono or shorter thinner wire to find the best balance.
GULP! free since 83' ;)
konrad

Post by konrad »

I use a 4 to 5 inch piece of braided wire tied to 3 feet of 50lb test fluorocarbon tied to 30lb braid. No swivels used. I wish I could tell you the name of the knots I use but am sorry to say I just don't remember. The braided wire is good because you can tie a leader directly to it. As far as hooks go I like a 2odd live bait. Leave the reel in gear or the fish will swallow the hook but keep the drag at relatively. Also make sure you have something that can hold 250 yards of line because when you are anchored in 50 plus feet of water there is no time to pull it up.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Konrad, I'm sure your using a bimini twist to a "no name" knot just like your idol Mark Sosin.
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
Tidedancer
Site Sponsor

Post by Tidedancer »

Rule #1 Grasshopper. You don't throw out a free line offshore with a live bait unless you use wire.
Rule #2 Go to South Georgia Outdoors and buy a Bait-runner Reel.
As for circle hooks. I like them, but if I am King fishing I use treble hook rigs.
konrad

Post by konrad »

Salty Gator wrote:Konrad, I'm sure your using a bimini twist to a "no name" knot just like your idol Mark Sosin.
Mark Sosin... Are you kidding me? I rather drink wine and watch highlights from American Idol with my wife than see another one of his shows.

Don't make me put up a link to Google map and pin pointing all your redfish holes. :-D
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

This is a question rather than a comment. If you should catch a grouper while trolling with a J hook, wouldn't you be in violation of the current regs?
"Good Judgement" comes from experience, ... and a lot of that..... results from "Bad Judgement".