Cobe redux

Use this area to post offshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

big bend gyrene

Cobe redux

Post by big bend gyrene »

After putting Bman on his first keeper cobe Wednesday, I had the fever to get back out again. Met up with buddy Sharkman yesterday and we headed out of Econfina at first light.

Seemed everything was hungry and biting yesterday. While fishing for pins out in 9' depths, we had two small sharks take pins and I caught a nice sized mackerel on my sabiki rig! :o

Get out to our spot and in short order Sharkman has a big cobe on. No question it's a keeper. We celebrate a minute or two and get back to fishing. We then catch one short grouper a piece. By this time it's getting hotter than hades and we're weighing a run inshore to cool off and check out some shallow spots.

Just as we're talking about heading in, WHAM!!! Something big hits a pinfish I'm fishing near the bottom and heads for structure. Can tell by the fight I've got something big. After about a 10 minute fight I get the fish to run up the water column enough to see it's a big cobe.

We then play the "bring the cobe to the boat" game, getting it within arms length only to have it make huge runs away from the boat seeking structure. Didn't count how many times but best guess is 15 to 20 times. Each time it made a run it didn't appear to have lost an ounce of energy. It's so hot and I'm fighting the cobe so hard, I'm sweating bullets. DANG, I mean it was HOT!!! It was giving us so much heck near the boat and was so big and powerful I was worried that we were going to lose him. Thankfully we didn't. Got him in the boat only to discover that the hook was set in one of his crab crusher pads. Seconds after putting him in the box the hook fell out without me having to remove it! :smt103

We did capture a bit of the fight on camera.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSKkUrDD6Rc[/video]

After landing the two keeper cobia and the temps reaching 100 we decided maybe some lighter tackle fishing was in order! :lol: Made a few runs to shallower spots and spotted multiple blue runner & mackerel feeding frenzies. Caught fish after fish from each pod. After we had our fill of fun, ran to the house to do some cleaning.

Final tally - kept two fish and had 60 pounds of meat. Sharkman's cobe weighed in at 25 and mine weighed 35.
P1010709.jpg
P1010709.jpg (671.92 KiB) Viewed 4310 times
P1010726.JPG
P1010726.JPG (653.65 KiB) Viewed 4310 times
The 35 pounder is the biggest to date taken on board Marine's Dream. Can't wait to get out there again and make the new record the old record! :-D
Last edited by big bend gyrene on June 13th, 2010, 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
bman

Re: Cobe redux

Post by bman »

The video is awesome... and that is a BEAST!
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

Soooo Jealous.
Tom Keels
Site Founder

carramar
Site Sponsor

Post by carramar »

Thanks for GREAT report.
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

:thumbup: :thumbup:
RodBow
Site Sponsor

Post by RodBow »

Cool. Don't I just live don't the road from you????? (hint hint)
use your opportunities ...

218 Carolina Skiff
25 Bayliner Deck
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Great report, especially with the video.

Is that your lucky hat? :wink:
Spot on

Post by Spot on »

Nice report!! love the video

One of my goals this year is to catch a keeper cobe. I caught 2 short ones last year. If you don't mind me asking how far out and water depth are you fishing.

Spot
RHTFISH
Site Sponsor

Post by RHTFISH »

Great report!!!!!! Video is great! It does get hot out there in a hurry!
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.
dolphinatic
Advertising Sponsor

Post by dolphinatic »

Nice one bro :thumbup: Please let me know when we are going this week so I can help you break that record :wink:
"Death and life are in the power of the tongue: and they that love it shall eat the fruit thereof." Proverbs 18:21

Team BevisRealty.com
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

Think Green!!!
Release the babies.
:thumbup:
P.S. I want to go fish some of MY HOLES with you.
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
tallykenj
Site Sponsor

Post by tallykenj »

Sweeeet.
The Back Porch
big bend gyrene

Post by big bend gyrene »

Silverking, me and that hat go way back... my wife thinks too far back. Accordingly I know it will likely go missing in the not too distant future, so I'm just wearing it while I still can. :lol:

Rodbow, Dolphinatic, and JT, wish I could go out tomorrow and would gladly load us all up for a trip out... but afraid I've used up all my approval chits from the little lady, at least for the moment. I manage to get another one, I'll be calling! :-D
Spot on wrote:If you don't mind me asking how far out and water depth are you fishing.
Spot On, these two were caught off spots between 20' and 30' of water. But to tell the truth, depth isn't the key variable. They like structure. If you don't want to make 10 to 20 mile runs, you can often find them on the prowl at the local bird racks. Been a few years back, but can recall one visit to a bird rack out of Econfina where there must have been 10 or so cobes congregated on it. Reason more people likely don't target them is that they cruise/travel so much that you have to have the patience to go hours without catching them, but trust me... you hang a pin out around structure long enough and you'll get a keeper. :thumbup: :beer:
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

A woman that would steal your favorite hat would probably steal your dog too ... keep a sharp eye out. :smt005

Suweet cobes!
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
RHTFISH
Site Sponsor

Post by RHTFISH »

Confucius say....easier to replace wife than good fishing hat! :lol:
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.