outboard cutting out

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Breambuster

outboard cutting out

Post by Breambuster »

My Merc 90 2-stroke cut out several times while running around in the flats last weekend. It would bog down for just a second or two and then picked back up again. It happened 3 times on the run back in shore, a 7-8 miles run, was okay on the short run around in the flats between drifts but happened once more when we head in, about 7 miles run.

Anyone has a similar experience? Could it be just water in the fuel or could it be something more serious?

Had the carb cleaned early last year due to fuel line breaking down and some rubbery stuffed ended up in the fuel pump and carb. Also, the fuel water separator was replaced about a month ago when I took it in for annual maintenance.
mpa_72001

Re: outboard cutting out

Post by mpa_72001 »

possible ehtanol if it sat up maybe needing some ethanol treatment?
Warrior
Site Sponsor

Post by Warrior »

Sounds like it may have went into guardian maybe grassed up.Can you hear your alarm beeper?
Warrior Inshore Charters
red_yakker
Site Sponsor

Post by red_yakker »

Warrior wrote:Sounds like it may have went into guardian maybe grassed up.Can you hear your alarm beeper?
My thoughts exactly. There is an awful lot of grass out there right now. Hopefully it's nothing more serious.
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing. ~Babylonian Proverb
Spot on

Post by Spot on »

I am no outboard mechanic, but i had the same thing happen on my boat last time i was out (about 3 weeks ago) I chalked it up to grass and still believe it was, but when i was doing some pm on it last week i found a pin hole in the fuel-water seperator filter. I don't know if the pin hole could or did cause this problem but i still think it was the grass, hopefully that is what you had.
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

It's either overheating or water in the gas.
Tom Keels
Site Founder

Breambuster

Post by Breambuster »

thanks for the reply. Yes there were a lot of floating grass but didnt think this is the case as there were not a whole lot of grass when it first happened. No, I didnt hear any alarm either and the engine was "peeing" fine.

Assuming it was due to water, what should I do. Pull out the fuel-water separator to check for water, and possible replace a new one. Add fuel treatment such as Starton. What else can I do? The marina at Perry and Albany are backed up for 2 weeks and I'm planning to take the family out on the opening of scalloping this weekend.
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

Check the water seperator and put Sea Foam in the tank :thumbup: :beer:
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
What a mess

Post by What a mess »

I had non stop troubles started blue stabil & a seperator no worries.
Yesterday it was taboo today it is normal what the heck will they be doing tomorrow?
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

I had similar problem. Does it idle okay but want to cut out under a load? merc lines turn to silicone mush with ethanol. Check your filter and separator. It will look like elmer's glue was squirted in there.

Ooops, did not read your whole thread. Was your line replaced with non-merc stuff? If so, sounds more like water, but I ain't no mechanic.
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

wevans wrote:Check the water seperator and put Sea Foam in the tank :thumbup: :beer:
What he said. :-D
culrich
Site Sponsor

Post by culrich »

Yeah, mine (F115 Yamaha) cut off several times this past weekend. I took it to Wefings for a check up, I hope its nothing major.
NO FLUKE!!!

LANARK MARKET!!!!
Breambuster

Post by Breambuster »

Plan to do the following this coming friday:
1) replace fuel water separator
2) replace fuel filter
3) add sea form to tank
4) fuel up with non-ethanol fuel at the KB marina
5) go fishing

Hopefully, this will take care of the problem, and okay to take the family scalloping on Saturday. The kids are really looking forward to the trip.

Culrich, please share with us what the mechanic at Wefings found out about your ourboard.
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

#6.Take out a SEATOW membership.
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
Breambuster

Post by Breambuster »

have been a member since 08.