Scalloping?

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Hit-n-Miss

Scalloping?

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

:-D Who's going next sat and where? We are hoping to be at Keaton. :-D
redbelly7

Re: Scalloping?

Post by redbelly7 »

I thought scalloping season comes in July. Does it start next weekend?
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

redbelly7 wrote:I thought scalloping season comes in July. Does it start next weekend?
Yes it is legit. Next saturday. :-D
robbankston
Site Sponsor

Post by robbankston »

Ok, so you guys got me curious about scalloping. Mainly because they taste so darn good. Any spotted around St. Marks? I'll be down there soon. How do you look for them? Just put on a mask and have a look? I gotta admit I'm still a big weenie about bull sharks. Had a bad experience with an 7 to 8 foot shark when I was a kid. He knocked me down in the surf. Luckily didn't use his teeth. My grandfather waded out and got his attention while I got out of the water...... :o It does sound like a good way to beat the mid-day heat while waiting for the trout to start biting again.
A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week. -George S. Patton
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

You guys would be much better off waiting a few weeks until they get bigger. They will be very small right now, even if you can find one.
Tom Keels
Site Founder

BrogensDuck

Post by BrogensDuck »

I agree...not sure about the early start date. Kinda like opening duck season early, before they show up. Good luck to those of you who do go. Maybe it will decrease the craziness usually associated with opening weekend.
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

:-D Could be looking at this next weekend.Image :-DImage
Last edited by Hit-n-Miss on June 14th, 2010, 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
robbankston
Site Sponsor

Post by robbankston »

:lick:
A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week. -George S. Patton
KLONG
Site Sponsor

Post by KLONG »

Has anyone seen any at the lighthouse yet? If so are they small?
red_yakker
Site Sponsor

Post by red_yakker »

Tom Keels wrote:You guys would be much better off waiting a few weeks until they get bigger. They will be very small right now, even if you can find one.
As much as I hate it, I agree. I found some pretty good concentrations of them over the weekend, but I only saw 2 or 3 that were more than 1.5" across. Maybe opening up the season early isn't such a great idea.
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing. ~Babylonian Proverb
sanblaslayer

Post by sanblaslayer »

The scallops I have seen in St. Joe seem unusually small. I'm not sure they will even be worth picking up by July.
Get your mind right
Charlie P
Site Sponsor

Post by Charlie P »

sanblaslayer wrote:The scallops I have seen in St. Joe seem unusually small. I'm not sure they will even be worth picking up by July.
Let's hope all that oil boom they deployed this weekend works! Looked like 2 booms going across entrance to the bay, about 200 yards apart.
sanblaslayer

Post by sanblaslayer »

Charlie P wrote:
sanblaslayer wrote:The scallops I have seen in St. Joe seem unusually small. I'm not sure they will even be worth picking up by July.
Let's hope all that oil boom they deployed this weekend works! Looked like 2 booms going across entrance to the bay, about 200 yards apart.
I wasn't referring to the oil, I just meant the scallops are probably still going to be small in July. Yes, the entrance to St. Joe Bay is boom city.
Get your mind right
gwillis

Post by gwillis »

Has the FWC reported on the scallop count and the general locations yet? I have seen the reports in the past around June 24th or so, but thought they may post early due to the season coming in earlier.