Slow Down For Manatees

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Slow Down For Manatees

Post by CSMarine »

That's a sign you don't see often in the Big Bend area. We all want to go as fast as we can to our fishing spots in the morning and fast as we can for the ramp in the evening. No one would expect to see a large Manatee in the channel and canal at Keaton Beach, But they are there. As you get close to the fishing pier at Keaton there is a large "Slow Down No Wake" sign at the mouth of the canal. Some slow down and idle up the canal to the lift or ramp. Many others who are going to one of the houses at Cedar Island or to the south of the canal continue on full pad across the inlet. The problem is not wake in these areas, but the Manatees that frequent this area of Keaton Beach.
This problem hit home for me last Wednesday. My wife, granddaughter, and I were on the dock that morning watching the boats come in, when a very large Manatee slowly swam by the dock just a few feet away. He surfaced just as he got near the pier so we got a very good look at him. It was thrilling for my granddaughter to see her first Manatee in the wild. As for my wife and I, we see them at Keaton all the time.
That afternoon after supper we went back to the pier to enjoy the evening breeze and "boat watch." As we sat there the Manatee we saw that morning came swimming by, heading out the channel. Sadly he had a huge fresh gash cut across his back, made I suppose from a propeller. The cut looked very nasty, but he still seemed to be swimming o:k.
I have called the FFW a number of times in the past about making that area a Manatee Caution Area, but they just don't seem to be interested. They just tell me they will look into it.
We can help this situation if we come off pad before we get to the end of the pier and idle the last part of the channel before the canal. Unfortunately when I've tried to talk to some of the locals about it, I get a don't care attitude.
I'm not some big animal lover, but I do love my grandchildren and love to see the excitement on their faces when one of these great animals swim by just feet from them. Please do your best to encourage everyone you know who fishes Keaton Beach to slow down and watch for the Manatees.
I'm going to get down off my soap box now, cause "that's all I got to say bout that."

salute2
Semper Fi
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Re: Slow Down For Manatees

Post by MudDucker »

I have been fishing out of Keaton beach off and on for over 40 years and I have NEVER seen a manatee there. I guess now that there is a sewer system other than the canal, the water quality is good enough for them to come into the canal.
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
BAD BEHAVIOR
Site Sponsor

Post by BAD BEHAVIOR »

Im with you bud. These creatures are awesome. I was down with my girlfriends dad at Aucilla a few weeks ago and watch a herd of them (12 to 15), one of which had a radio collar. One of the coolest sites Ive ever seen from anywhere in the country. The biggest one kept baffling his air hole as he moved around. Sounded like CT last Saturday morning on the way to the tourney. Just without the smell!!! Watch for em guys, theyre out there much more than you think!! Not only will your boat hurt them, they can do a helk of a job on your boat if you square one up! :thumbup:
A wise person pays attention to correction that will improve his life...... Proverbs 15:31 ICB <")))))>*<

TEAM BAD BEHAVIOR
CairoTrout
Site Sponsor

Post by CairoTrout »

BB you are so full of crap!!!!!!!!!!! You are the worlds worst about slowing down. You will not even slow down when your girlfriends sick. And I am surprised your up before 8:30.
All things are possible when you turn your life to Jesus.If you don't know how just ask.
big bend gyrene

Post by big bend gyrene »

CSMarine, thanks for the heads-up post. Agree with you 100%. :thumbup: salute1

As for BB and CT,...
:pop_1
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
ugadawg
Site Sponsor

Post by ugadawg »

They are down at Econfina too. We were about a mile out from the river a few weeks ago when this guy showed up and hung out at the back of the boat for about 20 minutes. Just followed us around on our drift.

SS-342
Site Sponsor

Post by SS-342 »

Thanks you CSMarine for this post. I'm not a "tree hugger" but do not want to run over a Manatee.

We've been fishing Keaton for about a year. The first time we went out very slow and nearly got stuck in the mud not far from the NO WAKE sign. Then I noticed more experienced boaters turning it on just past the NO WAKE sign, getting on plane and running the channel with no problems. I followed their method and have had no problems.

If this method is not the correct way with the Manatees in the channel, Please, help me understand the correct way it needs to be done.

Thank you again for your post. Looking forward to seeing our first Manatee at Keaton.
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

big bend gyrene wrote: As for BB and CT,... :pop_1
Are you thinking like I am, that they need to get a room. :smt005 :smt005 I am afraid CT is not adjusting well to the new threesome with BB having a girlfriend. :o :smt005 :smt005
Dubble Trubble
Site Sponsor

Post by Dubble Trubble »

MudDucker wrote:
Are you thinking like I am, that they need to get a room. :smt005 :smt005 I am afraid CT is not adjusting well to the new threesome with BB having a girlfriend. :o :smt005 :smt005

I just can't believe BB actually HAS a Girlfriend! :smt007 Yall sure Heath is not wearing a wig now?

Dubble :smt005
The more I know about something, the more I know that I did not know as much as I thought I knew that I knew.
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

Dubble Trubble wrote:
MudDucker wrote:

I just can't believe BB actually HAS a Girlfriend! :smt007 Yall sure Heath is not wearing a wig now?

:smt005 :smt005 Is he a blond or a brunette? :smt005 :smt005
BAD BEHAVIOR
Site Sponsor

Post by BAD BEHAVIOR »

MudDucker wrote:
Dubble Trubble wrote:
MudDucker wrote:

:smt005 :smt005 Is he a blond or a brunette? :smt005 :smt005
I cant believe Im down to just one.......................times are gettin tough!! :-D
A wise person pays attention to correction that will improve his life...... Proverbs 15:31 ICB <")))))>*<

TEAM BAD BEHAVIOR
mojokoko

Post by mojokoko »

I saw a few around Aucilla a few weeks ago. They were way up in a small creek.
Team Diehard -> Will Fish on an Inner-tube with a small craft advisory. Booyah
Proud member of the AKL
FishWithChris

Post by FishWithChris »

we've seen them in St. Marks area (obviously) but out along the channels on the sides, especially west of the lighthouse ramp. When we were testing the boat out, we scared the bejeeeesus out of one and created a flat-head wake we had never seen before. They're all around, most of the time we would not see them until it's too late.

motor up and slow down.
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Image Image Image
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

BAD BEHAVIOR wrote:I cant believe Im down to just one.......................times are gettin tough!! :-D
Whats the matter ... you sprain one of your wrists? :smt005 :smt005
CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Post by CSMarine »

MudDucker,
The new sewer system is only about a year old. The Manatees have been coming to Keaton Beach for many years. If your just running in and out of the ramps launching your boat, you might not see them. Spend some time on the public fishing pier there and sooner or later you'll see them. They like to hang out in the inlet out of the channel. That's the danger for them. People running on full pad across the inlet.

salute2
Semper Fi