Carrabelle - 6/9 & 6/10

Use this area to post offshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Willie

Carrabelle - 6/9 & 6/10

Post by Willie »

I've enjoyed reading everyone's posts for a while and figured it was time for me to post a report. I haven't done much offshore for the past year so it felt good to just get out on the water. I was down with my family for a week on SGI and the wind was blowing the first few days. We spent a day playing with the kids on Dog Island picking up some pinfish for the trip offshore.

June 9th - Fueled up and got to the end of Dog Island to find our traps had been robbed of 3 dozen pins. After a few choice words on the boat we picked up and headed out. First stop produced nothing but grunts and rock bass. Second stop we didn't produce much more. Third time was a the charm...It didn't seem to make a difference what we sent down because the fish would hit everything (LY's, Squid and Cigar Minnows). We ended the day with 6 nice snapper, 5 grouper, 2 trigger and so many short grouper that we got tired of reeling them in. Decided to pickup the traps on the way back in and found that the %$@*& that stole our pinfish had come back and put mullet heads in the traps while we were gone.

June 11th - Headed back out to the same area we were in the other day and the bite was on. Found the same things were working that had the previous day. Pulled in about the same catch as the time before with a nice mixed bag of grouper, snapper and triggers. Had a nice 29" grouper take me into the rocks and I couldn't make it budge. Put the rod in the holder and decided I could wait longer then he could. It took about 10 minutes and I started to see the rod tip bounce around. Started reeling like crazy and up came the best grouper I've ever caught. Finished the day with a huge 7-8' shark take a fish off our line and then follow us for a few drifts. From what I found on the computer after we got back it looked to be a nice sized tiger shark. Didn't see many birds on the water, but there were more fish crashing the surface then I've ever seen.

Great time on the water all week. I hope everyone has time to get out there before there are any problems with the oil. There are a lot of booms sitting in the bay between SGI and Eastpoint. I hope they're not needed.
roadtrip
Site Sponsor

Re: Carrabelle - 6/9 & 6/10

Post by roadtrip »

good report and catch :thumbup: How deep were you fishing?
Willie

Re: Carrabelle - 6/9 & 6/10

Post by Willie »

We were fishing between 55 & 70 feet.