Keaton fishing/scalloping 6/19/10

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Hit-n-Miss

Keaton fishing/scalloping 6/19/10

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

:-D Started the day of fishing and scalloping with a beautiful sunrsise. :-D Image
My wife, son, a friends daughter, and I headed out to fish. We went to doghead and did not catch much. My wife got one 17" trout and the 1st timer(friends daughter) caught her 1st a shark. The kids wanted to get in the water so at 9:30 we got in the water. The scalloping went better than the fishing. Image
We had our limit in 2 hrs and only moved once and that was only a few hundred yards. :thumbup: ImageImage

As far as people saying they were going to be small. They went from a little smaller than usual to huge. I talked to Breambuster while there. He was still fishing at the time. Hope you did well. As always a great day on the water with family and friends, :-DImage
Last edited by Hit-n-Miss on June 20th, 2010, 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bud Man

Re: Keaton fishing/scalloping 6/19/10

Post by Bud Man »

Looks like fun! Question for you or other experienced scallopers... When deciding what area to snorkel and search, do u look for scallops from the boat and then drop anchor or is this something you need to get closer to to see if they are there hidden in the grass?

I read someone else explain to look for the other 200 boats with dive flags but wasn't sure how clustered they are in wide areas versus just select spots.

Thanks in advance!
SS-342
Site Sponsor

Post by SS-342 »

Thank you for that good report.

We had planned to go but have an issue with our trailer. It was supposed to be fixed but wasn't.
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP
CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Post by CSMarine »

Fine report. Thanks. :thumbup:

salute2
Semper Fi
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

Bud Man wrote:Looks like fun! Question for you or other experienced scallopers... When deciding what area to snorkel and search, do u look for scallops from the boat and then drop anchor or is this something you need to get closer to to see if they are there hidden in the grass?

I read someone else explain to look for the other 200 boats with dive flags but wasn't sure how clustered they are in wide areas versus just select spots.

Thanks in advance!
We were a mile away from the nearest cluster of boats. The scallops like a mix of turtle and needle grass. Image
This is what your looking for with lots of the orangish brown moss. Find that then look. Usually you will not see bunches from the boat. But if you see several put someone in to look. If they see a bunch, dive in. :smt004
robbankston
Site Sponsor

Post by robbankston »

The word out of Shell Island Fish Camp was there little to no scallops being found in St. Marks. I didn't see any but was more interested in fishing anyway. Glad you found them. :thumbup:
A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week. -George S. Patton
robbankston
Site Sponsor

Post by robbankston »

The word out of Shell Island Fish Camp was there little to no scallops being found in St. Marks. I didn't see any but was more interested in fishing anyway. Glad you found them. :thumbup:
A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week. -George S. Patton
Bud Man

Post by Bud Man »

Hit n miss - Thanks for the info... That helps lots!

I went out to Lanark area today and didn't find any scallops.. A few fish and a great fathers day with my pops tho. Can't complain about that!
KLONG
Site Sponsor

Post by KLONG »

Thanks for the report. Those are some nice underwater pics.
Breambuster

Post by Breambuster »

Great report and good to hear that everyone had a good time. Also, thanks for sharing with me where you found them scallops. We did okay on Saturday but went to where you suggested and limited out easily.
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

Breambuster wrote:Great report and good to hear that everyone had a good time. Also, thanks for sharing with me where you found them scallops. We did okay on Saturday but went to where you suggested and limited out easily.
:-D Good deal. Glad I could help. Can't wait to see your report. :thumbup: :-D