pinfish dog island?

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

djw79

pinfish dog island?

Post by djw79 »

I am looking for a good spot for catching pinfish around dog island. I've tried using sabiki rigs and the catching is just slow. I seem to be a little impatient when comes to this, always eager to get on out there. Heard about people having success at dog island reef, (never fished it) but wondering about how far from dog island would normally be a good spot, and water depths?
WolfeMan
Site Sponsor

Re: pinfish dog island?

Post by WolfeMan »

I am far from an expert but look for grassy bottom in 4-8 ft of water and make sure you tip your sabiki with tiny pieces of cut squid.

As far as specific GPS numbers/locations, I think that is less important than making sure you have proper conditions.

Right, experts?

Last time I caught 'em we didnt use Sabikis, we used bream hooks with a couple split-shots with a square-shaped chunk of squid on them.
Last edited by WolfeMan on June 24th, 2010, 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Willie »

I've always had good luck picking them up on the east end of Dog Island. Stay just west of the channel that goes into Dog Island and there is a lot of area with good grass/sand. If you stay in the grass between 5-9 feet you shouldn't have any problem at all. We always use a single hook tipped with squid or a cut up piece of a gulp.
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

Stop by any store that carries pet food and buy the cheapest (fullsize)can of cat food you can find. Drift over the grassy area until you get some pinfish bites. Anchor. Punch some holes in the cat food can and attach it to a string or put in a chum bag. Drop it over the side and shake it a few times. NOTE: holes should be large enough for oils and some food to filter out. This method should bring the pin fish to you the rest is up to you.
"Good Judgement" comes from experience, ... and a lot of that..... results from "Bad Judgement".
captkeyser
Site Sponsor

Post by captkeyser »

West end of Dog Island by the docks, 3 to 4ft of water, spotty bottom. Cast the sabiki to the grass patches, tip with squid. Loaded up the past 3 weekends in about 30mins. Good luck. I will be there Saturday in the am. :thumbup:
Harmsway
Site Sponsor

Post by Harmsway »

:stupid_1 Err . . what he said. :thumbup:
To fish, or not to fish, . . . those are the answers.