Redfish?

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Redfish?

Post by onefishtwofish »

We have been hitting our usual spots the last 2 weeks and the reds are not there. I am of course not asking for YOUR spots, heck that ain't no fun. Just a general question for a relatively new redfish fisherman. Where do we look for the reds? We have not been finding them (at least not willing to bite) in the shallow hot water (even at very first light) in places that were producing just 2 weeks ago (and 3-4 degrees ago). So we have moved out to bars with deep water nearby and have still not found good numbers or ones willing to bite. Normally this time of year I am not thinking redfish, but we are getting more into pursuing them and just curious what is the best bet during the dog days. What do you experienced folks look for this time of year? We had schooling little mullet both Sat and Sunday and assumed they were reds chasing them, but only one fish willing to hit.
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?
wevans
Site Sponsor

Re: Redfish?

Post by wevans »

I had more Reds follow my lure this last weekend and not bite than I have in a long time. That being said, the tides and wind "what little there was" was completely wrong in the mornings and it was to danged hot fer me ta fish after 10 or so :o They will be there again when we start getting the morning high tides :-D :beer:
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
reelcatch

Post by reelcatch »

I caught two on Saturday just off the channel in front of the light house. one 18 and one 19. Between 1 and 2 in the afternoon to boot. I was surprised to get there at that time day. Kept the 19 and let the 18 swim.
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

Right at high tide :smt004 I catch most on either side of high tide :-D :thumbup: :beer:
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
CROCKER

Post by CROCKER »

we didnot catch any this weekend, we were fishing the bars outside of the aucilla. we caught a few trout and no reds.
we were on the east side of the pole.

got back to the landing talked to a couple of guys that had all they wanted with reds, the were fishing the bars west of the pole.

the reds are there. all you need is the right time, the right bar, and at the pole a right turn.
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

Yeah I saw those guys. They were about 200 yards from us or so. A boat and two yaks. We had the bait and the activity, just only had one hookup. I reckon we should have moved out instead of in, zigged when we should have zagged.

Did ya'll see as many sharks as we did?
red_yakker
Site Sponsor

Post by red_yakker »

onefishtwofish wrote: Did ya'll see as many sharks as we did?
I've seen and caught more sharks in the last month or two than I've ever seen in my life. I've even caught 2 on artificials (one on a gulp, one on a plug)! What's up with that? I'm hearing the same story from a lot of people, including the commercial guys, inshore and offshore. Some people are claiming that they are all coming this way to get away from the oil, but you know how that is. Everything odd is getting blamed on the oil right now.
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing. ~Babylonian Proverb
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

I caught 4 sharks on a grub, under a cajun thunder this last weekend :o and the wife had a nice keeper trout eat by a shark last weekend :smt012 and this is in 3 foot or less of water :smt009
Oh well, at least the coming weekend is shaping up to be a nice early morning bite :-D :thumbup: :thumbup: :beer:
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

Right you were. Did not tear them up, but came home with a nice 26 3/4 on Sat and another keeper, plus a couple more shorts. Today we caught 2 keeper reds, 4 keeper trout and 2 keeper flounder. My daughter had a red on near the boat and lost it. She is still redless. She has caught a mess of trout and spanish, a few other species, but still no reds. I ain't giving up though. She will get one.

Oh yeah, one of todays reds (buddy caught it) was a 12 spotter! And, until my freezer gets empty, I am a catch and release fisherman.