Found our boat

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

lonesouth
Site Sponsor

Found our boat

Post by lonesouth »

2004 Glastron SX 170 with a 115 Johnson. My buddy, who was in the business, said it was about an 8 or 9/10 on a quick once over. Nothing visible on the hull or engine to suggest any damage or neglect. Compression on the engine was 100psi +-2 on all four. Only issues are the tach doesn't function, though the warning lights do, and it occasionally stalls at idle. Buddy said neither should be hard to fix. Wet test was fun and felt slower than actual speed. I'm used to a 13' whaler that screams, but only goes ~28mph. We were 4 in boat, bimini up and hitting 36mph. Once we get the tach fixed, I'll get a second prop for top end...

We are planning on using it mostly for cruising and scalloping. It is immensely more comfortable to ride in than the whaler and has a prayer of keeping up with our friends when heading out for the bivalves.

850-273-8818
tallykenj
Site Sponsor

Re: Found our boat

Post by tallykenj »

Congrats.
The Back Porch
bman

Post by bman »

Nice man!! Looks good..
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
Flint River Pirate
Site Sponsor

Post by Flint River Pirate »

Congrats on the boat! You will enjoy it for sure.
Team Jolly Mon
Harmsway
Site Sponsor

Post by Harmsway »

ooh 8) :thumbup:
To fish, or not to fish, . . . those are the answers.
lonesouth
Site Sponsor

Post by lonesouth »

and it even fits in the garage...well, all but 10" of trailer tongue. Where can I find square tubing in town too make the tongue removable?
850-273-8818
robbankston
Site Sponsor

Post by robbankston »

And an ez loader trailer too. Love mine! Sweet rig.
A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week. -George S. Patton
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

lonesouth wrote:and it even fits in the garage...well, all but 10" of trailer tongue. Where can I find square tubing in town too make the tongue removable?
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... estid=9837
What was I supposed to do today?
lonesouth
Site Sponsor

Post by lonesouth »

Well, we took her down to the fort, paid our $5 and put in. Buddy backed us down and I made my way to the dock while he parked. I was happy to have remembered to install the plug before setting sail. Besides the tach not working, my only real gripe is the engine stalls around idle. I know it needs new plugs and I'm hoping they will cure this, otherwise, maybe bumping the idle will keep her going. We started heading out to the lighthouse, but the seas were a little rougher than desired, so we turned up the Wakula and went for the sight seeing tour. I managed to upset some of the locals with little more than off-idle wake(throttle seems to stick a little on the low side), but for the most part things went smoothly. Didn't see any snakes or gators, but there were fish aplenty, couple of jumpers too. The water wasn't as clear as I've seen in the past, and there was a little sheen on top. We made our way up to just south of upper bridge and jumped in for a refreshing swim. 94.9 playing low on the radio, seemed to fit the experience perfectly. When we got back to the ramp, the wind was blowing a steady bit, and I probably should have put the bimini(kite) down to keep from getting blown around. Couple that with the idle issue and it took about 5 stabs to get it nailed, but even with this, loading only took about 5 minutes. On an empty ramp, on my first time on a new boat, I'll call it a win! Good times with the friends and family!

Edit: And we only burned about 5 gallons :)
850-273-8818
RiverRunner

Post by RiverRunner »

Good deal.... :thumbup: