Scoop Sea's Oil Spill Thread

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Scoop Sea
Site Sponsor

Re: Scoop Sea's Oil Spill Thread

Post by Scoop Sea »

Will the cap work or won't it??? I was on a conference call today in which I was advised that BP was more than cautiously optimistic that the new cap would work. All the while, the government had stopped the process. Talking about sending mixed messages..... :-? Everything that I had been earlier advised (as well as today's call) indicates that the cap should work and that the pressure issues regarding the casing should be o.k. That being said, there are some unknown variables that could effect the project, but the sentiment is that this should greatly reduce the leak. The next 48 hours will be the real test. Let's hope the outcome is as positive as I have heard it should be..... :thumbup: :thumbup:

Changing subjects, for those of you who live in Crawfordville, wasn't that a wicked storm that rolled in today? My next door neighbor's house got hit by lightening and caught on fire. Luckily they all are alright, however, their house is now unliveable. That kind of put things in perspective.

I hope all is well with everyone and we have good news regarding the oil spill over the next 48 hours.
"Be Careful Not To Confuse Motion With Progress."
Harmsway
Site Sponsor

Post by Harmsway »

Thanks for the update, Scoop. :smt006

I'm really impressed with the craftsmanship of what I saw on the video feeds the last few days. Not to mention the incredible skill of the ROV operators. I bet there is a lot of impressive workmanship above the surface, too. I'm sure there are a lot of heros who won't get the recognition they deserve.
To fish, or not to fish, . . . those are the answers.
Scoop Sea
Site Sponsor

Post by Scoop Sea »

How about that good news, about dang time........ :thumbup: :thumbup: Let's hope the well casing continues to hold and we have no unforeseen leaks. It will take some time to get the lines hooked up to the ships on top which will act as a back up in case the oil has to be siphoned off. The ships on site have the capacity to hold the flow if it comes to that. That's a nice back up, however, the down side is this leaves us vulnerable to hurricanes, etc. that may impact the ships and lines. In turn, let's just hope this cap keeps working, we can get the lines/ships lined up for a back up, and the relief wells continue to progress as well as they have been. If the oil continues to be halted, we anticipate 45-60 days more for the oil already on the surface to hit the shore depending on weather, currents, etc.

I heard today that La. Game and Fish was looking at lifting their recreational fishing ban, however, there was some concern raised by the feds, primarily FDA about the consumption of the fish. We'll see how that plays out. Hopefully all of the recreational and commercial waters will be open before too long.
rocket
Site Sponsor

Post by rocket »

It was dang sure nice to watch the live feed, and not see oil spewing out! :thumbup: :thumbup:
Stay Thirsty My Friends
Scoop Sea
Site Sponsor

Post by Scoop Sea »

You are right about that Rocket Man.......... Let's hope it stays that way. We need to remember that it takes approximately 48 hours to tell if it will hold for sure. I was advised anything over 6,000 psi was considered a success (no leaks below) and they ended up around 6500, so things look pretty good right now. :thumbup: :thumbup:
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

Super!!!!!!
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
FUTCHCAIRO

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

THANKS SS FOR KEEPING US INFORMED.
PA SEMPER FI
FUTCHCAIRO
red_yakker
Site Sponsor

Post by red_yakker »

Awesome!, Hope it holds.
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing. ~Babylonian Proverb
Scoop Sea
Site Sponsor

Post by Scoop Sea »

So far, so good. They have extended the pressure tests a little longer, but this is due to them not getting the seismic runs finished yet. At this time the pressure still looks good. Let's hope this remains the case and they can get the ships hooked up next week and start siphoning off the oil. :thumbup: :thumbup:

I saw where the 20 Billion Dollar Fed Man stated that commercial fishermen that were hired as VOO's will have to deduct those payments from their claims. This pissed a lot of folks off, but I myself think that's the right move. Otherwise you are basically paying them twice. Furthermore, most, not all, but most, of the commercial fishermen working as VOO's are making more money through the VOO program then what they would have otherwise. I hope to see more "tightening of the belt".

Last thing for this evening, I saw where La. did go ahead and open up their recreational fishing again, including consumption. That is great news in my opinion. Thus far, all of their fish/seafood tissue samples have come back negative for contamination. I hope the press picks that story up and runs with it so the bait shops, charter boats, etc. can get back to earning a living. However, since it's good news, I highly doubt it will make the headlines like bad news does.

Alright, I'm off to Hammerknockers Oasis for some ribs and music. Eric Durrance is playing there tonight, so it should be a good time. If ya'll are down that way this evening, come on in and have a beer with me. :beer:
Good Times

Post by Good Times »

Thanks Scoop. Appreciate the update. I'm glad to hear about the fishing being open.
Harmsway
Site Sponsor

Post by Harmsway »

Scoop Sea wrote:Alright, I'm off to Hammerknockers Oasis for some ribs and music. Eric Durrance is playing there tonight, so it should be a good time. If ya'll are down that way this evening, come on in and have a beer with me. :beer:
Dang, Scoop Sea. I just drove by Hammerknockers Oasis a while ago, and thought to myself, 'Self, there's a big crowd at the Oasis, and it looks like a good time will be had tonight. :smt047 Too bad you're so tired from all that fishing you did in Lanark/Carrabelle today." If I'ld known you were tooling around in there, I would have definitely stopped in long enough to buy you a :beer:. Keep up the good work. salute1
Last edited by Harmsway on July 17th, 2010, 11:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
To fish, or not to fish, . . . those are the answers.
Flint River Pirate
Site Sponsor

Post by Flint River Pirate »

Sounds like great news Scoop. I know we aren't out of the woods yet, but I feel a little better.
Team Jolly Mon
Scoop Sea
Site Sponsor

Post by Scoop Sea »

Hey Harmsway, you missed a good time last night at Hammaknocker, but I totally understand being tired after being on the water all day. Eric Durrance and his Tobacco Road Band were great, as was Rick Otto and his band. There was a good crowd as well, i.e. not too rowdy, but not to mellow. However, what really made the evening was throwing down on some ribs and cold beer. :beer: :beer:

Well, we are three days in on the cap being put in place and the pressure keeps holding, that is great news. As much as I like the cap holding and no oil coming out, I really want to see them get the lines and ships in place to start siphoning the oil off. I will feel better about them “capturing” the oil instead of “containing” the oil. Due to the explosion, you have to wonder if that well casing will stay intact. I haven’t heard anything to indicate otherwise. If we can siphon the oil off and keep the relief wells moving forward, we’ll be in a very good position. If we can continue to have good weather over the next two weeks, I remain optimistic that we can have the relief wells in place by the end of July. :thumbup: :thumbup:

I have heard that the USCG has advised that they will not use the "A Whale" skimmer due to it being too big and bulky to be productive. You may recall in one of my earlier posts I stated that I was advised that it wasn't productive and that they even extended the trial to try and tweak the skimmer to make it work better. It just wasn't the right tool for the job out there and from what I have read and been advised, it doesn't appear that it will be the right tool for oil spills out on open waterways. What I find ironic is the fact that the press and others were all over this ship, making it out to be the savior needed, when it was untested and unproven. However, now that it has failed, it’s not making the headlines that it was making before. Before we close the chapter on “A Whale”, I’d like to state once again, the EPA did not hold this ship up from being used. In fact, I would challenge the press to find a legitimate document that showed the EPA held this ship up from being used. There was a lot of “speculation” and “twisting” of regulatory language by the press and others concerning open dumping laws, etc. that indicated the EPA was not going to allow the ship to be used. However, as I posted earlier on, the Federal On Scene Coordinator (USCG) has the authority to allow skimmers to “decant” their oily water at sea if needed. Furthermore, the EPA encouraged the testing of this skimmer and has been a proponent of seeking alternative technologies to fight this oil spill. Like I have stated before, the press has done a great job of focusing on negative angles related to this oil spill and often times by-passes any positive attributes. :smt012

Alright, it’s off to Church. Remember, the only way to ensure the oil will not keep flowing is for the relief wells to be successful (hopefully within a couple of weeks) and all you really have to do on Earth is get to Heaven. :wink:
Flint River Pirate
Site Sponsor

Post by Flint River Pirate »

I just got this CNN breaking news text...........

CNN Breaking news - Testing of BP well integrity "detected seep a distance from the well" in the Gulf of Mexico, Ret. Adm. Thad Allen says.
Team Jolly Mon
Scoop Sea
Site Sponsor

Post by Scoop Sea »

Hey FRP, I heard about this earlier today as well. It appears that it is unclear if it's oil or methane coming up. Either way, it's not something we were hoping to see or hear about, but it wasn't totally unexpected either. What I find interesting this evening is the fact that the feds want the valves opened up to siphon off the oil (the agreed upon approach), yet BP is apparently hesitant to open up the valves again. Here is my own personal speculation, not based on intel, etc., just my speculation: BP knows that when they open the well back up and start siphoning off the oil, the feds will be able to actually determine how much oil has been flowing into the Gulf. Penalties and fines are based on the amount of oil spilled and without the feds knowing the exact amount for sure, BP has a defense when they start negotiating the fines/penalties. Like I said, that's speculation, but since the agreed upon approach was to open the well back up after the test and now BP appears to be heading in another direction, it makes me wonder. Admiral Allen hasn't issued too many Directives to BP over this response, but he just ordered one concerning the possible seeps, that gives me reason to believe that there is more to the story than we have seen.