St. Marks nearshore slam

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

St. Marks nearshore slam

Post by Salty Gator »

Konrad and I dropped his boat in at the fort at 8:00 am (a little late for both of us, but his wife was supposed to go). The plan was to catch some pins and head out for a cobia or two. We headed to 8 ft grass and Konrad quickly started filling the livewell with his sabiki. He insisted I leave my pinfish rod in the truck for room, so I started throwing a camo gulp shrimp on a 1/8 oz jighead, by the way the water looked like chocolate milk. Three trout 14"-17" and 18 pins in 15 minutes and we hit the buoy line. We drove by a few until we found the one we liked. We anchored and soaked some pins under baloons and one freelined near the buoy. Fifteen minutes after our first cast, my bait gets crushed. I come tight on a nice cobia, my first keeper. We let her get good and tired then the Capt got a gaff in her mouth, up and in. She measured 37 or so and gave me all I wanted. After a tall boy, I got baited back up and out. 20-30 min later and I'm hooked up again. It is a smaller fish this time and gets to the boat quicker, but has three buddies. Konrad quickly gets a pinfish in front of the biggest of the group. We knew his was close so we tired him out and lipped him. He measured 30, but a nice fish none the less. We gave that spot another hour or so with no bites, but twice had a large brown fish hit and miss our baits. We decided to head in and try to pick up another trout or two, drifted the west flats from 4-8 ft with no luck. With a nice outgoing tide we went to an old spot that I used to fish a few years ago. A nice oyster bar with great water movement. We anchored up near some mullet and threw out some stink. ( I'm not sury why, but we were both feeling particularily lazy this day) and ended up with 3 reds 17, 21, & 23", and a 21" trout that swallowed the hook and had to go home with us. We topped that off at Savannaha's buffet for lunch. Wow, what a day. Sorry no pics. Still not sure how to post them and only the cobia got a pic.
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
Ron Wilson
Site Sponsor

Re: St. Marks nearshore slam

Post by Ron Wilson »

Nice trip and report. :thumbup:
"Plan for the worst."
tallykenj
Site Sponsor

Post by tallykenj »

Great day! Well done.
The Back Porch
konrad

Post by konrad »

By the way NOAA was wrong on the weather report. The 1-2 predicted were more like 3-4. Oh well we salvaged the day and had a good time.
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

Oh well we salvaged the day and had a good time.
Nice report by MR. UNDERSTATEMENT :D :thumbup: How deep under the balloon did you soak the pins?
"Good Judgement" comes from experience, ... and a lot of that..... results from "Bad Judgement".
bman

Post by bman »

Nice day on the water! I'm itching to get back out after some more cobia!
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

We tied balloons about 3-3.5 ft above the hook. No weight
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

Thanks SG :thumbup:
"Good Judgement" comes from experience, ... and a lot of that..... results from "Bad Judgement".
Jhults11

Post by Jhults11 »

Good report man...glad to hear u have been getting out. Iv been busy with work but did get out and got a 4 man limit of red snapper the last day of snapper season south of the o tower. Cant wait for fall........tight lines man
"Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing it's not the fish they are after." -Henry David Thoreau
big bend gyrene

Post by big bend gyrene »

Solid report! Need to get you a tagging kit so you can stick the shorts. :thumbup: Read Hendon out of Southern Mississippi is over the tagging program and a good guy. :beer: If interested here's a link on how to get a free tagging kit:
http://www.bigbendfishing.net/phpBB3/vi ... 0&p=187514
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Done. Looking forward to it. When should I expect it BBG?
WolfeMan
Site Sponsor

Post by WolfeMan »

I never caught a cobia before.