St. Marks - 08/06 - 08/07

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

eatsleepfish

St. Marks - 08/06 - 08/07

Post by eatsleepfish »

Got on the water Friday with the GF before daylight and headed East to 8' - 10' feet of water. The plan was to bounce bottom with Gulps. Wind conditions were perfect. As soon as we got to the spot the bite was on big time. By 8:15 AM we had a limit of 10 really nice trout in the box and had released many more. No 20 inchers caught, but lots of 17,18,19s. Caught several nice sea bass too. By around 10:00 or so things started slowing down. But it was an incredible morning of fishing. Roughly, we caught around 25 keeper size trout, and another 25 short ones. Played in the water a bit, and headed for the ramp by noon.
The plan Saturday was to repeat. I have it all figured out now, right? Not quite. Conditions had changed and it was extremely windy. The only way to fish where I wanted to fish was drag an anchor and the bite was slow. I kept threatening to move in to more shallow areas and try to dodge the wind a bit, but the memory of Friday's bite kept me searching that 8-10 feet of water. We picked up 4 nice keepers and several shorts but it was like a switch had turned off compared to the day before. Finally I decide to try some 5' water for a couple of drifts at around 11:00. By this time it is hotter than heck and I am ready to get off the water, and figure drift for 30 minutes and head out. After 5 minutes, pick up an 18" and a few shorts. 15 minutes later pick up a 22" and a few more shorts. I am thinking, what if I had done this earlier? Oh well, live and learn. Played in the water a bit and head for the ramp around 12:30 or so.
A great couple of days on the water with my special lady, and caught a bunch of fish to boot. You can't beat it!!!!
Charlie P
Site Sponsor

Re: St. Marks - 08/06 - 08/07

Post by Charlie P »

Sure beats workin, nice report!
SS-342
Site Sponsor

Post by SS-342 »

A nice report!

Best I can tell the trout are where you find them. Read reports of them being caught in real skinny water and deep water.

It was good you had fun and caught fish.

When you get it figured out.....Please let me know!
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Post by DixieReb »

:thumbup: :thumbup: That is a great report! Especially with it being so hot. You were right to go out deep for them.
Yours in the South