BullRed, Tarpon and Shark: Panacea 8-15

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

bman

BullRed, Tarpon and Shark: Panacea 8-15

Post by bman »

Had planned Shark Week trip number two with my buddy Emmett Reed and his two oldest Emma and Everett.
After church and lunch the skies were looking sketchy about 2pm
We talked and thought - worst case we will stop for a seafood dinner.
Emmett and Joel Silver are working on a fishing show called "My Very Own Fishing Show"
We would never have guessed, but by the end of the day we were wishing we had the camera crew with us!

As we arrived at the Panacea marina the bottom fell out. All rain and no thunder. Thirty minutes later it looked clear enough to try.
The shark hole is a quick run out and it didn't take long for Emma to catch her first

We were a little short on bait so I rigged up a Diawa D-Shock spooled with OLD 15lb test mono, one that I won at the social two years ago, with a jig head and some bluefish guts from yesterday.
Handed it off to Everett so he could catch something while we waited on another shark.
Seconds after it hit the bottom his rod bended double and he shouted, Fish On!
My first thought was a shark or big sailcat but the bend was strong and the fish kept pealing line off.
It surfaced and flashed red... a lot of red.
Everett fought the fish for at least 30 minuets. His dad Emmett and I coached him the entire time and he followed direction well.
He kept the pressure on, tip up and did not reel when the fish was pulling line off the reel.
I passes the rod under the anchor line at last five times... afraid she would wrap around it and break off.
He got the fish close to the boat and I realised my landing net was W-A-Y too small :thumbup:
Several more sounds and runs and the red was finally tiring.
I reached over the side to hand land the beast missing the first grab.
The fish turned and I leaned way out getting one hand on the tail just as the line broke :o
I pull the fish toward me and got a second hand on the tail with a better grip.
Turned her and got a hand under the belly and brought the fish in the boat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The boat was filled with whoops and hollers as we all celebrated an amazing catch.
Examining the rig after the line was shredded and I really have no idea how it lasted that long!
The red was 42.5 inches long and a hefty 25.5 inches around absolute bull and was released unharmed.

Our hands still shaking the back rod jumps and a shark starts buzzing. Emma caught another one, this time a Black tip!
As Emmett is putting it in the fish box the unthinkable happens...

Buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz... the cork rig starts singing and Holy Camoly TARPON ON!
As we look back a Tarpon breaks the surface jetting 3 feet out of the water- here is the look of shock on my face!
The fish pulled line like mad and I was worried I was going to be spooled.
Emmett jumped behind the helm and made chase while I gained line- he has caught many down in South Florida.
The fish jumped at least 10 times with Emmett exhorting me to bow to the tarpon.
We made great progress with the Tarpon showing itself near the boat with maybe 20 feet of line between us and the great fish the line broke :smt022
Still an amazing fish and a beautiful air show! Emmett estimated it to be about 125lbs :o

Knowing that it would be hard to top that action and with two sharks in the box we headed back to the ramp.
A little later we are chomping on the chompers :smt106 :smt106

We relived the day during the meal, showing photos of the Red to anyone who slowed long enough to snag them by the table.
Unreal day on the water that will be hard to top!
Last edited by bman on August 15th, 2010, 10:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
Jose Gaspar

Re: BullRed, Tarpon and Shark: Panacea 8-15

Post by Jose Gaspar »

Barry....thanks again! Usually I am the one doing the "guiding" so it was good of you to invite us.....with that said what an absolutely chaotic and beautiful two hours of fishing!

Our family nickname is Redfish Reed and Everett now wears the crown!

I will have you on your first snook within three weeks! Thanks again!
Last edited by Jose Gaspar on August 15th, 2010, 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KyTrkyHntr
Site Sponsor

Post by KyTrkyHntr »

:thumbup: That lucky hat has some good mojo!!! :-D
Catch & Release Fish!!!!....... Not Criminals!

Image Image
big bend gyrene

Post by big bend gyrene »

Bman... first, GREAT report. Awesome, simply awesome. :smt023

The congrats out of the way, I got a serious bone to pick with you. Granted we got you a keeper cobia out on Marine's Dream earlier this year, but you also lost a monster, caught countless grouper that were 1/4" short, and we didn't catch a red at a spot that usually produces double digits. No shortage of fun catches, true, but just had the feeling that the luck was a bit off. Been bugging me why I wasn't happier with the results... but now I KNOW!

After all these great recent reports being issued by the Bman, I pulled up pics from out trip and I see something HIGHLY disturbing... something about the hat you were wearing. The stitching in the letters is full red. All of these pics taken in your recent trips out show your LUCKY hat with a MUCH more worn brim AND WHITE stitching in the center of he FS letters.

What the hades, MAN?!!! :smt017 :smt009
The WRONG Hat.jpg.jpg
The WRONG Hat.jpg.jpg (70.61 KiB) Viewed 3987 times
We make another trip out this year and you don't bring the right hat with you, I'm sending you back home. :wink:
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
Talltails

Post by Talltails »

That's as good as it gets, Barry! Nothing like have a tarpon dancing around on the end of your line
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Post by SHOWBOAT »

awesome Barry. I think I saw you guys near Posey's around 3. I tried to walk out on the dock and say high but you had already moved couple docks down.

Nice report.
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
bman

Post by bman »

big bend gyrene wrote:We make another trip out this year and you don't bring the right hat with you, I'm sending you back home. :wink:
Your right- that is the new one and I'm still breaking it in...
If the old one really dies I should tuck a piece of it in the band of the new one :lol:

I'll have it next time!
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
Atticus
Site Sponsor

Post by Atticus »

NICE!
lonesouth
Site Sponsor

Post by lonesouth »

good story bman. Reeds look like they had a good time!
850-273-8818
FUTCHCAIRO

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

HEY BARRY, MAN WHAT A GREAT DAY ON THE WATER, THOSE KIDS ARE HOOKED FOREVEER AFTER A EXPERIENCE LIKE THAT, CONGRATULATION, GREAT REPORT AS USUAL.
PA THE OLD MAN OF THE SEA SEMPER FI
FUTCHCAIRO
WolfeMan
Site Sponsor

Post by WolfeMan »

DUUUUUUUDE! Tarpon on! That's sick!
Site Sponsor

Post by Harmsway »

Wow, Bman, you caught that bull red with your bare hands. :smt041 Maybe you should'a bear-hugged that poon! :smt119
Awesome report. :smt045 Thanks for the entertainment :smt034 :smt035 (and for keeping the hope alive). :smt023
To fish, or not to fish, . . . those are the answers.
Ron Wilson
Site Sponsor

Post by Ron Wilson »

To quote Harmsway........"Awesome report." and pics. :thumbup:
"Plan for the worst."
Jose Gaspar

Post by Jose Gaspar »

You guys have no idea how great that bear hug was......my son fought that fish for 45 minutes.....when Barry realized the net was too small he went to land it by hand, he had the fish by the mouth and tail, then with one swoosh of it's powerful tail, the hand that was on the fish's mouth ended up joining the other hand on the tail (I was helping my son at this point) . Another swoosh of the tail and the line snaps and Barry loses his grip....I dive on the deck just in time to watch Barry lunge his hands into the water and regain his grip! It really was incredible and had my son not taken his time to wear the fish down, it might have been a different story. They both did great! And the fish was thoroughly revived and released!
tallykenj
Site Sponsor

Post by tallykenj »

That was an awesome trip. How deep was the water. The poon pics are cool. I can feel the excitement.
The Back Porch