Some General Help?

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

juan sapatos

Some General Help?

Post by juan sapatos »

I'm fishing tomorrow out of St. Marks. I have not gotten to go much in the last month and I don't have a lot of experience fishing the in fall anyway. Any thoughts tomorrow on a general strategy? East or west of the St. Marks? Flats, bars or creeks? I'm going early and low tide is at about 10 am. Thanks if you you have any advice. If this is a discourteous request, please ignore. I mean no offense. Also, I have a skiff with a 90 horse and a pole/poling platform. No trolling motor.
Nature Red in Tooth and Claw
Flint River Pirate
Site Sponsor

Re: Some General Help?

Post by Flint River Pirate »

juan sapatos wrote: If this is a discourteous request, please ignore. I mean no offense. .
That's what this forum is about.....fishing. You have good questions. What species are you targeting? That will make a difference. The water isn't cold enough yet for them to be held up in the creeks. If you are looking for trout, I would suggest drifting the flats since you don't have a trolling motor. Maybe some of the locals will chime in and give you specific depths and lures. Good Luck! :thumbup:
Team Jolly Mon
juan sapatos

Re: Some General Help?

Post by juan sapatos »

Trout, realistically. I've done pretty well with trout on topwater and suspending plugs.

I've had very little success with redfish, although in the late summer I caught a nice one drifting the bars around big pass with a live finger mullet, but that was on a high tide. However I've repeated that process a few times with no more success.

I have yet to be successful sight fishing reds except for drifting into the grass and spooking a few out. That's stretching the definition of success, but I did see them at least!

After the tide goes slack I will probably run around deeper and look for bait schools and spanish, but I know how to do that OK. Are the Spanish still around?

Thanks for your help.
Nature Red in Tooth and Claw