Carranark 10.16.10

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Atticus
Site Sponsor

Carranark 10.16.10

Post by Atticus »

Meh. Slow day. Topwater bite resulted in almost nothing. A few 16" trout and a 26" spanish over the course of the entire day. Ran East generally. Fished around some good "summer" spots with not much to show for it. Don't know if its the constant high pressure or the cold nights or what. Maybe I can only fish over here in the hot weather. Bagged a few okay trout (16; 17; 17; 20) eventually and one nice red. Seemed that it warmed-up and by that point the fish were biting but there wasn't enough water to fish the flats I usually hit in warmer times. I didn't have the gas in the boat to make a long run to other spots. This nice red went 26" and nibbled on a sprite spoon. We killed numerous Bud Lights and had a great time. I am still having a problem with my sunscreen running into my eyes. It feels like I have been pepper sprayed by the time I eat lunch the last two weekends on the flats. I am going to switch sunscreen brands.

big bend gyrene

Re: Carranark 10.16.10

Post by big bend gyrene »

Atticus wrote:I am still having a problem with my sunscreen running into my eyes. It feels like I have been pepper sprayed by the time I eat lunch the last two weekends on the flats. I am going to switch sunscreen brands.
Atticus, bet money what you're using is one of the more common commercial sunscreens with chemical/synthetic ingredients... look at the ingredients and they'll likely include at least a few of the following: dixoybenzone, oxybenzone, ethyl dihydroxy propyl PAB, glyceryl PABA, p-aminobenzoic acid, padimate-O or octyl dimethyl PABA, cinoxate, ethylhexyl p-methoxycinnamate, octocrylene, octyl methoxycinnamate, ethylhexyl salicylate, homosalate, octyl salicylate, and/or avobenzone (butyl-methyoxydibenzoylmethane). Quite common for folks to find these ingredients irritating, with many individuals even suffering minor allergic reactions to one or more of the ingredients. Not to mention that studies show some of the ingredients to be somewhat unhealthy in animal trial studies.

Better options will include good old mineral blocking agents like zinc oxide or titanium dioxide. Sadly, these are a bit harder to find and usually cost a bit more, and will tell you right up front many will give you the ghost white look that zinc as a physical barrier gives. Some of the more expensive options are shaded and blend in with skin tones a bit better. If you can't find any on the shelves, run by our place if you want (2888 Mahan Drive, Suite 3). We carry a number of options, including the ones in the link below:
http://mdsolarsciences.com/products/sunscreen.html
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
juan sapatos

Post by juan sapatos »

You might try a buff. All the protection, no chemicals. And they come in cool fish patterns like speckled trout: https://www.buffwear.com/catalog/produc ... ts_id/1057
Nature Red in Tooth and Claw
Just Fish
Site Sponsor

Post by Just Fish »

I suggest a hat. No need to apply sunscreen to the forehead then :thumbup:
KyTrkyHntr
Site Sponsor

Post by KyTrkyHntr »

Nice Red! :thumbup:
Catch & Release Fish!!!!....... Not Criminals!

Image Image
FishWithChris

Post by FishWithChris »

juan sapatos wrote:You might try a buff. All the protection, no chemicals. And they come in cool fish patterns like speckled trout: https://www.buffwear.com/catalog/produc ... ts_id/1057
I wear the white fly on every trip, summer/fall/winter. great protection; coupled with a hat and you're good to go!
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Image Image Image
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Nice job Darrh, peg and I fished the same area this weekend with similar results. Let us know when your in the area and well get up for a beer. DW
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
big bend gyrene

First off, Atticus, slow day or not that's a nice red indeed. :thumbup: :beer:

As for the sun protection comments, ALL for protective clothing, buffs and hats included. Would like to caution folks, though, that with the cooling weather whereas you would think folks would have on more protective clothing than the summer months that's not always the case. Many folks start off wearing multiple layers but by midday just have on shorts & short-sleeved shirts. Add in the mild temps, and folks don't think to put on sunblock like they do when it's blazing hot, and the result -- bad sunburns.

Seeing more sunburns in our office today than I think we saw any day this summer. Lots of folks went to the game and/or were outside this weekend and looks like a good many weren't particulary cautious due to the cooler temps. :smt087

Forgive the preaching... but for you younger folks who want to know what the sun will do to you, just take a look at JT's gnarly noggin. :smt107
BBF08.jpg
BBF08.jpg (65.29 KiB) Viewed 3316 times
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
juan sapatos

Post by juan sapatos »

Right there with you, gyrene. so far I've only had chunks hacked out of my chest and back. I'm not really looking forward to what their planning for my bald head. I wear long pants and long sleeves everytime out now. and the buff and a hat. high school was fun, but I'm paying for it now. . . .
Nature Red in Tooth and Claw
Atticus
Site Sponsor

Post by Atticus »

Thanks guys. That is Darrh in the picture but this is Luke. He caught the fish so I got to hold the camera. He also caught the biggest trout of the day. He lays down on the bench seat in the boat and takes little happy naps until he hears my drag going then he gets up to fish. Unbelievable.

I have a couple buffs and I always wear at least a baseball hat. I am thinking of going with the buff and my boonie hat from now on. I just hate sunscreen on my face.
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

I have a couple buffs and I always wear at least a baseball hat.
Therein lies your catching problem.
Get yourself a good fishing hat.
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
beer thirty

Post by beer thirty »

Nice Redfish! People go to the doctor for sunburn. Dumbass.
big bend gyrene

beer thirty wrote:Nice Redfish! People go to the doctor for sunburn. Dumbass.
Beer Thirty, none were there for the sunburns... well not directly for the sunburns. Instead most were there for pre-scheduled cancer screening, biopsies, and other derm issues. While sunburns were not the immediate reason for their pre-scheduled visits didn't stop us from noting the sun damage they're actively getting and trying to educate them on the long term effects and the need for adequate protection. :thumbup: :beer:
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Sorry Luke, I should have known Darrh wouldn't know where to catch a nice red like that. I guess blind hogs do find acorns. Nice work
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
beer thirty

Post by beer thirty »

big bend gyrene wrote:
beer thirty wrote:Nice Redfish! People go to the doctor for sunburn. Dumbass.
Beer Thirty, none were there for the sunburns... well not directly for the sunburns. Instead most were there for pre-scheduled cancer screening, biopsies, and other derm issues. While sunburns were not the immediate reason for their pre-scheduled visits didn't stop us from noting the sun damage they're actively getting and trying to educate them on the long term effects and the need for adequate protection. :thumbup: :beer:
10-4. I burned my kids up on the cape one spring and thought about taking to doctors. Respect the Sun . I retract the DA comment. salute3