Advice for wade fishing St Marks

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

fishingfanatic

Advice for wade fishing St Marks

Post by fishingfanatic »

I'm new to the area and I've been going to St. Marks near the lighthouse wading out on the oyster bar that runs parallel to the channel leading out from the boat ramp. I haven't had much success recently and I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I have a cast net to catch pins and mud minnows (no luck with netting any mullet). I use a popping cork with a 2 foot leader and a pin for trout and for flounder i put 2 mud minnows on chart. bucktail jigs spaced about 1.5 feet from each other on flourocarbon leader. I've been on high and low slack tides, and incoming and outgoing tides. I haven't even been getting bites, besides the occasional sail cat. Any advice? Also, any other spots to fish?
Reel Addiction
Site Sponsor

Re: Advice for wade fishing St Marks

Post by Reel Addiction »

I love to wade fish. It's not for wimps. If I wade fish this time of year at St. Marks, I have better luck working east towards the cut that flows into the back water. My best results are with shrimp or gulps under a popping cork. If you want better spots, go to the Bald Point Park and fish the oyster bars on a moving tide. My favorite spot to wade fish is St Teresa Beach. Work toward the point and wade out to the channel. You will find schools of Reds in shallows, trout along the channel, flounder in the pot holes and what ever else is cruising around. You will also see things that make people fish out of boats. Shuffle your feet because the sting rays like the area. Have a long stringer in case a shark sniffs out your catch and don't be surprised if you see an alligator fishing with you. However, I think this time of year, they have probably gone inland but I am not so sure. Keep and eye out just in case. Also use the search function of this site and you find all the information you need. That's what makes this site so good. Good luck and I hope to see you out there.
Fighting Conch
Site Sponsor

Post by Fighting Conch »

Try the end of the rock jetty, the natural channel runs right past the west end.
juan sapatos

Post by juan sapatos »

the old pier pilings are another good spot. They are full of oysters in between the pilings and you can wade very carefully out to the end, depending on the tide. All the usual baits work. I've tried subsurface plugs recently, especially Yozuri Pin's Minnow with good success. I have a good friend who swears by the Bagley's Finger Mullet. I've done lots of wading and never had a serious shark issue. I don't carry a stringer. Sting rays are everywhere, but I think the danger is overstated. I've seen them by the hundreds, but never had one let me get too close. I know, I know, those barbs are there for a reason, but the world is full of risk.
Nature Red in Tooth and Claw
FUTCHCAIRO

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

HEY SKAG, THANKS AGAIN FOR ALL THE TROUBLE YA WENT THROUGH TO GET THAT TITLE ON THE BOAT, APPRECIATE IT A BUNCH.
PA THE OLD MAN OF THE SEA SEMPER FI
FUTCHCAIRO
fishingfanatic

Post by fishingfanatic »

Thanks for the tips guys. I think Im gonna try to get out to St. Teresa this weekend and check it out. I'm really lookin for some trout and flounder for Sunday night dinner
Reel Addiction
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Addiction »

Fishing Fan. I hope you do get out and try the area. It really is the best spot. I just might head out there as well. ( depending on the Seminoles of course and what they do Saturday night). By the way, welcome to the board!
antoni

Post by antoni »

just had some st george redfish for dinner :) i'm a wade fanatic myself. the water temps are getting cooler. i would look for 4-5' depth or wade around the river mouths. reds, trout will start to head in up the rivers soon. lets us know how you do. welcome aboard :D
SS-342
Site Sponsor

Post by SS-342 »

I'd need a few pair of themol underware.

Man, you must be one tough rooster!

Join the Marines - Be HAPPY!

GOOD FISHING TO YA!
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP
fishingfanatic

Post by fishingfanatic »

went out to st teresa today. got a few bites but didnt land anything. caught a huge red on a pinfish and popping cork. he spooled me. had him about 10 feet away from shore then he took off straight out. looks like i need some new line. mono? braided? any suggestions?
SS-342
Site Sponsor

Post by SS-342 »

I use braided Power Pro and love it! I think I have 30 pound test on now. Also use a flurocarbon leader.
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP
celius

Post by celius »

I have been wadefishing St. Marks Lighhouse area for the past year and have had good luck with the Trout and no luck with Redfish (only caught a small one at the end of the jetties in April). It's all about the tidal flow and finding the "holes" where the Trout ambush the bait flowing through with the tide. I was able to wade out to that oyster bar a few weeks ago, on a falling tide, and caught a nice trout on the western edge then caught a nice bluefish on the rising tide when a school came crashing through on the deep end of the bar towards the south. I am still trying to figure out where the Redfish stage in that area and whether they are accessible by wading but the trout action has been good. I would recommend always casting against the tide and reeling your lure or bait back with the tidal flow. However, please be careful and keep an eye on the rising tide if you wade out to the oyster bar from shore.......I had a little too much fun with the bluefish action, lost track of time, and had to navigate my way back to shore in neck deep water holding by rod/fish/tackle pouch over my head.....A little scary.