Boating the Distributaries

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Fighting Conch
Site Sponsor

Boating the Distributaries

Post by Fighting Conch »

Tin Can inspired me to think about the Apalachicola River distributaries, good luck to him this weekend. Capt. Ron, you've got a great backyard!

I've boated this area only three times so my knowledge is wafer thin. Nonetheless locked in my mind is the pungent smell of the wet forest, odd screeching sounds in the distance and the primordial feel of the crazy weave of outflow rivers. Very unique waterways even though with familiar names like the Little St. Marks, St. Marks and the East River.
Map View.jpg
Map View.jpg (2.2 MiB) Viewed 1796 times
It is an easy launch at the main Apalachicola Ramp and parking in the shade of the bridge is nice.
Apalachicola Ramp Battery Park.jpg
Apalachicola Ramp Battery Park.jpg (2.67 MiB) Viewed 1796 times
I've used the Four Tree Cut, was idling through one time and suddenly surprised by a commercial guy flying past at high speed.
Four Trees Cutoff.jpg
Four Trees Cutoff.jpg (134.29 KiB) Viewed 1796 times
In the upper portions of the distributaries I saw an occasional houseboat and shore camp mostly through it is winding waterways cutting through walls of woods.

In the lower portions the channels are 12 or so feet deep while passing through marsh but watch out at the lip of the bay where it immediately drops to 12 or so inches!
Distributaries Meet Bay.jpg
Distributaries Meet Bay.jpg (104.12 KiB) Viewed 1796 times
Anyway here are the routes I've taken. Someday would like to check it out better with someone with local knowledge.
Tracks Distributaries.jpg
Tracks Distributaries.jpg (117.85 KiB) Viewed 1796 times
tin can
Site Sponsor

Re: Boating the Distributaries

Post by tin can »

Looks like you've covered quite a bit of the area, Skag. It is a beautiful area. And a good GPS with good mapping comes in handy.
What was I supposed to do today?
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

I lived there for 6 years and didn't cover half that much area :smt012 We appreciate the pics and the commentary Skag :thumbup: :thumbup: :beer:
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
Ty one on

Post by Ty one on »

Like My Dad has always said, This river system looks the way it did when the Indians were around.

Keep exploring.....If exploring slow do a little trolling, Grubs, Rattle Traps......Catch some Hybirds and Stripes.

Fun Fun Place :beer:
If we were all crazy, Wouldn't that make us all normal.
Hula Popper

Post by Hula Popper »

I've been in there, but only once.

Saw a number of eagles, both golden and bald. Mostly bald. Those are big birds!

Very interesting place to explore. I was there before GPS ... and it was a very easy place to get lost in!