Alligator Point 1/30/11

Use this area to post offshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

fish finder
Site Sponsor

Alligator Point 1/30/11

Post by fish finder »

My "First Mate" and I took advantage of the light winds and low seas on Sunday and slipped out to some nice rock bottom off Dog Island to catch a few of those "state water" Gags before grouper season shuts down for the next two months. I left Cuda"B" at the dock and instead took my "Little Mule" (Proline 23SU w/200 HPDI). She is meant for the flats, but works great for the nearshore bottom fishing! I went to a spot that I had picked up a two man limit of Gags just two weeks ago, when my stepson and I left them biting. Anchored up in 38ft and began firing squid, sardines and cut LY's down to see if the fish we were marking would bite. We fished for about an hour, catching 7 Gags and a good mess of Seabass along with a few KW snapper. We kept our limit of 4 Gags and 8 of the Seabass! I caught one nice one that went 27" and 14 lbs. :D
Winter Gag
Winter Gag
HPIM2505.JPG (1020.71 KiB) Viewed 3221 times

What a great way to end the season! Seas were flat, water was clear and cold (58-60), skies were overcast and the company couldn't be any better! Enjoyed a nice broiled Seabass dinner to top it off.

Light wind and low seas,

Capt. Jay
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Re: Alligator Point 1/30/11

Post by Jumptrout51 »

Nice.
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

Sure wish they wouldda hit a trolled lure :smt010 I trolled for over 5 hours and never took the lures outta the water the entire time. Next time I'll listen to my little voice and head further S/SW that bouy 26 :wink: A danged fine way for ya to end the fishin :thumbup: :thumbup: :beer:
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
OUTBOARDSURPLUS
Site Sponsor

Post by OUTBOARDSURPLUS »

GOOD LOOKING FISH. :smt006
fish finder
Site Sponsor

Post by fish finder »

Wevans,

Trolling time isn't here yet, not sure why, but two weeks ago I spent about 1.5 hrs trolling the very same area off Dog Island, marking fish the whole time, with 4 lines out without a hit. I had 2 long lines with stretch 25's and two short lines with stretch 30's, 4 different colors all for notta! So I pulled up on one of the holes marking fish and twenty minutes later, my stepson and I had our two man limit, releasing several shorts as well.

With that knowledge, Sunday, with my better half with me, I just dropped 2 lines in and trolled to the area, with no strikes, just to make sure before we anchored up and put some bait on the bottom. It's nice when you only have to anchor once and the bite is non-stop.

I'm thinking with the two month closure and another cold winter upon us, come April 1, the grouper still hanging around in the state waters will be hungry and/or mad enough to hit just about any lure that swims by! ;-)

Capt. Jay
Ranaman

Post by Ranaman »

Nice job Capt Jay!
Sea Fox
Site Sponsor

Post by Sea Fox »

Sounds like fun, thanks for the report Capt. Jay
Sea Ya !