Dog Island

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Fighting Conch
Site Sponsor

Dog Island

Post by Fighting Conch »

When boating St. George Sound I never paid much attention to Dog Island I guess because of a mental block - maybe 30 years ago I went out on a party boat from Carrabelle with some buddies, we started with the beer at dawn. Well when we hit big rollers just past the island I turned a shade of green, spent the day down below and lived with ridicule for months.
seasick.jpg
seasick.jpg (78.06 KiB) Viewed 1847 times
But now I am finally beginning to mature so I decided to overcome that history and explore Dog Island a bit and am glad I did, there is a lot to like. Here is my route from one trip.
Dog Island.jpg
Dog Island.jpg (90.31 KiB) Viewed 1847 times
I launched at the fairly new city boat ramp off Marine Street. Ramp is good but on a busy day the on-street parking must be tough.
Carrabelle Boat Ramp.jpg
Carrabelle Boat Ramp.jpg (143.84 KiB) Viewed 1847 times
Before heading out to the island I spend a little time circling the harbor although all that idle speed will drive you crazy. Nice Coast Guard ship, gave me a good feeling.
P8010755.JPG
P8010755.JPG (1.68 MiB) Viewed 1847 times
Heading out of the Carrabelle River is easy enough but then like that time years ago the water became rough. I love my little boat but when the waves get over a couple of feet it is not fun.

Finally I got to the lee of the island, the east tip is very cool!
P8010765.JPG
P8010765.JPG (1.96 MiB) Viewed 1847 times
Spent some time in the little inlet, plenty of bait, caught a huge Flounder.
Dog Island Inlet.jpg
Dog Island Inlet.jpg (110.65 KiB) Viewed 1847 times
Here is my baby Whaler rigged for action!
P8010771.JPG
P8010771.JPG (2.13 MiB) Viewed 1847 times
Just to the west is a little bay where I spotted the famous Dog Island Black Mangroves - supposed to be one of the northernmost locations.
Black Mangrove Location.jpg
Black Mangrove Location.jpg (110.5 KiB) Viewed 1847 times
P8010776.JPG
P8010776.JPG (1.89 MiB) Viewed 1847 times
P8010784.JPG
P8010784.JPG (1.85 MiB) Viewed 1847 times
The main landing is very protected, a nice place to hide from the wind.
Landing.jpg
Landing.jpg (141.35 KiB) Viewed 1847 times
For some reason I cannot find many photos from my trip but suffice to say the shoreline it is very beautiful and there are a lot of good looking fishing spots. The run back from East Pass is not bad but I had to keep my head on the swivel to fit in with a stream of big boats returning to Carrabelle.

I sure want to get out to Dog Island again!
Attachments
P8010774.JPG
P8010774.JPG (1.97 MiB) Viewed 1847 times
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Re: Dog Island

Post by Jumptrout51 »

:thumbup:
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

You should never start drinking beer at dawn.... it leaves a yellow trail in the water. :wink:
Life is short.... Ride a Harley and fish a Sea Pro
http://seaproforum.proboards.com/
woopty
Site Sponsor

Post by woopty »

Finally talked the wife in to going to Ile de Chiens this last year. Best trip of the year!
We live in a paradise!
"You got time to breathe, you got time fur music..."
...Briscoe Darling Jr.

JB
http://zydecozoo.com
DeanMac

Post by DeanMac »

Nice post and pictures.

Question about Dog Island?
I was talking to the Ranger over at SGI State Park, he said, the property owners over at Dog Island had aquired some 500 foot lease around the island and you could not go beach your boat over there anymore. Get caught and you will be fined. I searched the web and could not find anything about this. Since most of the island is not public owned I don't see how that could be possible. The Ranger said, the white trash bash was the main reason for this happening. Last Summer we would go over and moor the boat for a day on the beach, sure don't need a hassle or fine.

Anyone heard anything about this?
Take a kid hunting or fishing and you will be rewarded.
DeanMac

Post by DeanMac »

woopty wrote:Finally talked the wife in to going to Ile de Chiens this last year. Best trip of the year!
We live in a paradise!
At first I tought "France" that is a long way to go. Being a newbie to the area I didn't realize Dog Island was called
Ile de Chiens. what did we do before google
Take a kid hunting or fishing and you will be rewarded.