Econfina 5/7 5/8 5/9

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

yukondon

Econfina 5/7 5/8 5/9

Post by yukondon »

What a great weekend !weather was great,water was 76 degrees and Gin clear
Fridays trout bite was slow,managed 4 keepers, largest 19.5 one 22 in. spanish about 10 short trout.atleast a dozen ladyfish and about the same amout of skipjacks most productive bait was SWA candy corn tipped with sprimp bites under a CT

Saturday my brother joined me and we hit a pretty good spot, we fished about a mile north of the bird rack out from the river, got on some pretty good fish,we managed a limit pretty quickly, the water was very clear and there was lots of life under the boat,saw several bottlenose dolfins and 1 very large shark,aprox 6 ft long :o lots of rays, highlight of the day was my first Cobia :lick: can these guys pull or what :thumbup: Only 24 inches long so my brother snapped a picture and I let him go.He was tagging along with a large ray and 3 other cobia one in the 50-70 pound range. I caught the smallest one out of the bunch,he hit a electric chicken under a CT .Once he was hooked the others left in a hurry.We had nothing in the boat to challenge the large one with anyway :hammer:

Today brother and I caught 10 keeper trout largest 23 in. most 17-18 in. several shorts one 25.5 in Redfish and 8 puppy reds :beer: Reds were caught in creek just east of the Aucilla . Baits for today, trout New penny.
Reds caught on Manns swimming image, Gizzard shad design. :thumbup: :beer: :beer: :beer: Fun weekend, Im pooped.
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Post by DixieReb »

good report, and welcome to the forum. We fished west of the river last Wednesday and did good, the fish seem to be moving around a lot. interesting you say the water was clear, on our last trip the clear water didn't produce, we had to find water that was a little stained.
Anyway, good report. Sorry the cobe was too small.
Yours in the South
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

Good report Yukondon....WTG.. :thumbup:
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

Nice job of fish'n and report'n yukondon.

You gonna have something heavier for them cobes next time?? :D
"Good Judgement" comes from experience, ... and a lot of that..... results from "Bad Judgement".
dstockwell

Post by dstockwell »

wtg.. :thumbup:
Aucilla
Site Sponsor

Post by Aucilla »

I liked that report! It had everything! Good fishing; and fun stuff seen, had and maybe almost had. It had location and what gear you didn't have and maybe wished you had....

When you say you didn't have anything to throw at the bigger cobes, do you mean gear-wise? As in rod, leader, etc.? Or do you mean bait? Should we carry an artificial eel with us?

I really want to get a cobe and I know that getting out there is the start! How far out were you?

Thanks again for sharing with us! :thumbup: :thumbup:
Carlabear

ecofina trout fishing

Post by Carlabear »

Great report. Sounds like the trout are biting good and nice ones too. Hope to get in some fishing this weekend

Thanks for the info. :thumbup:
yukondon

Post by yukondon »

what I meant by not having anything for the big cobes was that we didnt have any heavier gear in the boat,we have been looking and prepared for cobes in earlier trips this year but have never seen one until this weekend,wouldnt you know it :cry: We were no more than 3 miles from the mouth of he Econfina.I will have something ready next time :-D
Aucilla
Site Sponsor

Post by Aucilla »

We were no more than 3 miles from the mouth of he Econfina
Details. Details. Details.

Sorry for asking, but how far OUT were you?

Thanks!
yukondon

Post by yukondon »

Nolester
I dont have the exact distance,i didnt measure,my best guess is that we were 3 miles out from the rivers mouth. Directly towards the birdrack.
Aucilla
Site Sponsor

Post by Aucilla »

Thanks! With just a 13'er, I like to know.