FWC Proposes Increase to Red Drum Bag Limit

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

CairoTrout
Site Sponsor

Re: FWC Proposes Increase to Red Drum Bag Limit

Post by CairoTrout »

FHC I know you don't keep fish, you have a fly for your avatar. Haha just messin w u.
Last edited by CairoTrout on February 25th, 2011, 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All things are possible when you turn your life to Jesus.If you don't know how just ask.
CairoTrout
Site Sponsor

Post by CairoTrout »

Keyser 1 25 " red? Maybe a Ethiopian.
All things are possible when you turn your life to Jesus.If you don't know how just ask.
FHC
Site Sponsor

Post by FHC »

CairoTrout wrote:FHC I know you don't keep fish, you have a fly for your avatar. Haha just messin w u.
i have the chance to keep fish be cause i catch more fish were it be no a miror lure or a fly :D
Chill-N-Grill
Site Sponsor

Post by Chill-N-Grill »

I like the old days when you fish and keep what you catch without government intervention.
Redbelly
Site Sponsor

Post by Redbelly »

I know.........if you stays within 60 mile of da coast....limit one....farther ...limit two!
Work 2 fish 4 days

1988 vintage 1436 Fisher Jon
1992 vintage 15 hp Merc
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

I can fish every day :-D so, one or 20, it don't matter to me personally :smt004 but it won't matter where ya live if they start getting depleted and then FWC decides that we can't keep ANY :smt012 :beer:
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
CairoTrout
Site Sponsor

Post by CairoTrout »

I hear ya FHC! :thumbup:
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

I might add the I wouldn't really mind if they allowed out of state folks ta keep double the limit that locals can :o y'all spend more, travle further and fish less :smt004 :-D :beer:
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
spooky
Site Sponsor

Post by spooky »

I AM FOR IT I WOULD RATHER HAVE 2 20 INCH REDS THAN 1 27 INCH RED ANYDAY LEAVE THE BIG ONES ALONE
kneeknocker

Post by kneeknocker »

I have seen the data and with the escapement trending down and the fishing pressure trending up that does not show an increase to me. If it passes I hope that we are not sitting here in 4 or 5 years asking why we are having months closed on redfish. We have a great fishery and everyone enjoys catching a couple when they go. Why risk it?
TEAM NO FLUKE!!!
Skeeter-Bite
Site Sponsor

Post by Skeeter-Bite »

Captain Keyser and no change co-harts.......do you even consider the pressure you're recommending on the cheese grits and heads of lettuce flocks? With you're suggestion of one red but throw it in with cheese grits and salad may cause the immediate demise of the healthy coveys of grits and herds of lettuce that we have today.......it is true that the Commission has moved very fast on this one...they've never really made any positive decisions in less than 20 years before this one but I believe they have the best interest of all of us grit and lettuce hunters in mind.....not to mention without any science to back it up ,you also throw in the slaughter of RANCH DRESSING>>>>>Have you lost your mind? I say two reds/per day/per person/maximum 8 per boat is an acceptable response to reduce the thoughtless slaughter of many sides at our home cookouts!!!! Next you'll want everybody in the Northwest section of Florida to viscously attack the breeding stocks of corn fritters and french fries!!!!!! I'm just saying,THINK ABOUT IT!
Last edited by Skeeter-Bite on February 26th, 2011, 2:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reel Cowboy
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Cowboy »

kneeknocker wrote:I have seen the data and with the escapement trending down and the fishing pressure trending up that does not show an increase to me. If it passes I hope that we are not sitting here in 4 or 5 years asking why we are having months closed on redfish. We have a great fishery and everyone enjoys catching a couple when they go. Why risk it?
I haven't seen what you've seen but you're making a great point. In a few years they'll figure out they screwed the pooch and then act like it was our idea and shut us out completely. That would be a tragedy of epic proportions.
In the words of the great Doc Holliday, "I'll be your huckleberry"
Gulf Coast
Site Sponsor

Post by Gulf Coast »

Reel Cowboy wrote:
kneeknocker wrote:I have seen the data and with the escapement trending down and the fishing pressure trending up that does not show an increase to me. If it passes I hope that we are not sitting here in 4 or 5 years asking why we are having months closed on redfish. We have a great fishery and everyone enjoys catching a couple when they go. Why risk it?
I haven't seen what you've seen but you're making a great point. In a few years they'll figure out they screwed the pooch and then act like it was our idea and shut us out completely. That would be a tragedy of epic proportions.
:thumbup: :thumbup:
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

The law currently states one redfish in possession.
One "means" one.
That includes no more than one in the home freezer too.
If you get 2 you can not possess 2 more until the fish are consumed,or you will be a law breaker.
Consequently,if you and your buddy go fish and catch 4, and, you take all 4 home, you could be ticketed for illegal possession.
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

:hammer: :hammer: :smt004 :beer: :beer:

Response (DLE-JF) 04/22/2010 08:56 AM
In general, the daily bag limits set by commission rule for saltwater fishing are for a calendar day (24 hour period from midnight to midnight). These limits are also possession limits. Therefore, it is illegal to possess more than one day’s bag limit "while in, on, or above the waters of the State or on any dock, pier, bridge, beach or other fishing site adjacent to such waters" with regard to most species.

In Florida's fresh waters, a bag or creel limit is the number of fish an angler can harvest (keep) per day, with a two-day possession limit at a base camp, house boat, or when transporting prior to freezing. Things to keep in mind are: Once the fish are processed and placed in a freezer (not a cooler) at a residence (e.g., their permanent home, a mobile home or motel catering to anglers), they become a food product. From that point on there is no longer a limit on them. So for instance, if someone is fishing all winter and keeps processing their catch and adding fish to their freezer, then puts them on ice to transport someplace else, they can exceed the possession limit.

Hopefully this clarifies the confusion you had about transporting. If you have further questions, please contact the Division of Freshwater Fisheries Management at 850-488-0331 or the Division of Marine Fisheries Management at 850-487-0554.

Thank you,
FWC Customer Service