FWC Proposes Increase to Red Drum Bag Limit

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Reel Addiction
Site Sponsor

Re: FWC Proposes Increase to Red Drum Bag Limit

Post by Reel Addiction »

I am in favor of the increase. I don't see this effecting the stock as many of you do. I love to fish for Reds because of their action, but they are also one of the best eating fish we have. When I get the opportunity to fish, I want to bring home enough fish to last me until my next trip. If I can keep two Reds, I will keep less trout. What I don't understand is why many of you believe that if the limit is increased, it will be difficult to change back. The FWC seems to change fishing regulations every week. Our grouper and snapper fishing has been restricted to the point that where it does not make financial since to own or operate an off shore boat. In my opinion, that hurts our economy more than anything. I have clients all over the South tell me they are not traveling to the cost because the current bag limits due not substantiate the cost to transport and run boats off shore. We are at the hands of the FWC. If they will allow me to take two Reds, I will enjoy that for as long as I can. When they say, I can't take any Reds, I won't.
devans
Site Sponsor

Post by devans »

Well it will definitely be up to the incredible folks at FWC, being that they know how many fish are out there and how many we can keep to make sure the numbers stay in the balance. I like the two fish limit, but hell if the limit was already two I would want three. They also said snapper had low numbers, must have counted them in Sopchoppy river.
You dang sure can not fix stupid!
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Reel Addiction wrote:I am in favor of the increase. I don't see this effecting the stock as many of you do. I love to fish for Reds because of their action, but they are also one of the best eating fish we have. When I get the opportunity to fish, I want to bring home enough fish to last me until my next trip. If I can keep two Reds, I will keep less trout. What I don't understand is why many of you believe that if the limit is increased, it will be difficult to change back. The FWC seems to change fishing regulations every week. Our grouper and snapper fishing has been restricted to the point that where it does not make financial since to own or operate an off shore boat. In my opinion, that hurts our economy more than anything. I have clients all over the South tell me they are not traveling to the cost because the current bag limits due not substantiate the cost to transport and run boats off shore. We are at the hands of the FWC. If they will allow me to take two Reds, I will enjoy that for as long as I can. When they say, I can't take any Reds, I won't.

Apples and oranges, RA. The Gulf of Mexico Fishery Management Council, a federal agency, sets the majority of the rules for grouper and snapper. The state FWC typically follows suite whenever the feds tighten restrictions.

The FWC for a number of years has used Jan. 1 and July 1 as implementation dates when they do make changes. The fact that many anglers are not fishing offshore because of the lack of available fish and cost of operating an offshore boat is exactly why this "state" redfish rule may come back to haunt those of us who do fish inshore.
Reel Cowboy
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Cowboy »

silverking wrote:
Reel Addiction wrote:I am in favor of the increase. I don't see this effecting the stock as many of you do. I love to fish for Reds because of their action, but they are also one of the best eating fish we have. When I get the opportunity to fish, I want to bring home enough fish to last me until my next trip. If I can keep two Reds, I will keep less trout. What I don't understand is why many of you believe that if the limit is increased, it will be difficult to change back. The FWC seems to change fishing regulations every week. Our grouper and snapper fishing has been restricted to the point that where it does not make financial since to own or operate an off shore boat. In my opinion, that hurts our economy more than anything. I have clients all over the South tell me they are not traveling to the cost because the current bag limits due not substantiate the cost to transport and run boats off shore. We are at the hands of the FWC. If they will allow me to take two Reds, I will enjoy that for as long as I can. When they say, I can't take any Reds, I won't.

Apples and oranges, RA. The Gulf of Mexico Fishery Management Council, a federal agency, sets the majority of the rules for grouper and snapper. The state FWC typically follows suite whenever the feds tighten restrictions.

The FWC for a number of years has used Jan. 1 and July 1 as implementation dates when they do make changes. The fact that many anglers are not fishing offshore because of the lack of available fish and cost of operating an offshore boat is exactly why this "state" redfish rule may come back to haunt those of us who do fish inshore.
great points Capt. & a lot more diplomatic than what I could muster
In the words of the great Doc Holliday, "I'll be your huckleberry"
kneeknocker

Post by kneeknocker »

We all love fishing for and catching reds. I am in no way saying that if FWC sets a two limit that the fishery will be in huge trouble, but it will start to deminish the stock. It will affect the southern regions first and move it's way up to the northern regions and I love seeing a lot of fish every time I go.

Also to who said that the FWC knows how many fish are out there. That is not true! The FWC uses escapement as a management tool. They can't actually know the number of fish because ofthe size limit an the big fish go offshore to breed. Escapement means the fish that make it to the point of moving offshore to spawn. Since there is no commercial fishery and no federal keep FWC can't actually account for how many reds live offshore because there is no data. And it should say that way.

The redfish fishery is great all over the state and it is a gamefish not a meat fish (people dont travel to the coast just to keep a red they like to bring home trout and other inshore fish). A fisherman lives for that time that they are in shallow water and all the sudden there is fifty to a hundred reds around them and you are trying to cast alto them all at once. It brings money to the state and our local economies. Again we have all been happy keeping one why risk the it.
TEAM NO FLUKE!!!
Harmsway
Site Sponsor

Post by Harmsway »

What gets me is why FWC even pretends to be interested in public opinion, what with all the "workshop" meetings, on-line surveys, etc. From what I can tell, the majority of recreational redfishermens' feedback was to leave the 1-fish limit stand. I guess they just wanted to make a show of it. What the heck is their incentive to increase depletion rate?
To fish, or not to fish, . . . those are the answers.
Sun Daze

Post by Sun Daze »

kneeknocker wrote:We all love fishing for and catching reds. I am in no way saying that if FWC sets a two limit that the fishery will be in huge trouble, but it will start to deminish the stock. It will affect the southern regions first and move it's way up to the northern regions and I love seeing a lot of fish every time I go.
The Southern regions would remain at a one fish limit. I believe it's the Pasco/Hernando line south on the west coast and the Flagler/Volusia line south one the east coast. So I don't understand how the southern regions will be effected. There is a big redfish hatchery on Tampa Bay, we are getting lots and lots of big schools of breeder fish off shore as a result of the management of recent years.

I don't think we'll see a drop in breeder numbers, but if we do then two fish would be a mistake. I have mixed feelings about it. I know I like the idea of being able to keep 2 per person per day, but the 8 fish limit per boat is worrisome. I also like the fact that we are catching redfish more consistantly as a whole. So, I'm split on whether this should be done. I think 2 per person/day would be OK with a 4 or 6 fish/boat limit. Even at 6 fish per boat, it could be sketchy.
Flanders
Site Sponsor

Post by Flanders »

Keep it 1 limit!
Its nice to be able to catch them most everytime you try. Or should I say everytime I try. :-D
I come from a small drinking community with a fishing problem
Reel Addiction
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Addiction »

RC, thank you for the correction. I just assumed it was the FWC that set all Florida bag limits (insert assumed joke). The education on this site never ends, and I enjoy the opportunity to exchange opinions of varying degrees with the most knowledgeable fisherman around. Maybe I need some additional education on the Red Fish Bag Limit, but I still am not convinced that with the decrease in off shore fishing will effect the long term population of in shore species such as Red Fish. I really don't know how species population counts are determined in a given geographic area and how bag limits are established, but I have to assume that some sort of scientific study with statistical annalist is done and the conclusion of that data supports the setting of bag limits as well as the decisions to increase and or decrease species bag limits. I can't believe that decisions like this are determined otherwise. Therefore, my logic has always been to support the fish counters conclusions and when that conclusion is in favor of keeping more of my favorite fish, I support it. I realize it is not a popular choice on this forum and you all may be right, but I remain in favor of the increase of two.
Reel Cowboy
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Cowboy »

Reel Addiction wrote: Maybe I need some additional education on the Red Fish Bag Limit, but I still am not convinced that with the decrease in off shore fishing will effect the long term population of in shore species such as Red Fish.
The best explanation I have is that people that fish are still going to fish no matter the limit but with gas prices approaching the astronomical and limits on snapper, grouper, amberjack and other reef/offshore fish taking a hit or being closed completely, then those folks that have been crowding each other offshore will turn their attention to our flats. Which is perfectly fine as it is a public resource for everyone's enjoyment.
Or in equation form

inshore anglers + displaced offshore anglers = more anglers
same fish divided by more anglers = less fish per angler

But I could be totally wrong as inshore is fishing and offshore is reeling so those folks might not even know which end of the line the hook goes on without an egg weight to guide them. (all in fun folks)
In the words of the great Doc Holliday, "I'll be your huckleberry"
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

The final public hearing and vote on this redfish rule will be on April 6 or 7 in Havana at the FWC law enforcement training academy. I will post as soon as I hear the actual date. The meetings are typically held all over the state, so this "local" site allows easier access.

If you feel strongly about this proposal to increase the bag and vessel limit (which many of us do), I'd urge you to take the time to go to the hearing and testify. It's a learning process as well to see how the commission conducts its business. Speakers are limited to 3 minutes and the commission does like to hear from regular citizen anglers, not just us pros. Fishing casual is appropriate attire.
yardman32317
Site Sponsor

Post by yardman32317 »

Looking forward to more information on the meeting.
Will do my best to be there to voice my opposition to the increase.
Aside from reds there are plenty of other fish out there to take home.
No worries about me taking home too many.
My record for catching reds is pretty bad so they stand a better chance at life with me fishing.
I prefer trout :lick: but an occasional red is nice too....diversity :-D
Sua Sponte
RLTW
grasshopper

Post by grasshopper »

I'm for the increase, what puzzles me is the FWC is trying to give anglers something back and a lot of folks are telling them we don't want it. The gulf fishing regulations have been slowly edging toward catch and release only for all species the last several years. The people against an increase are only telling them they are satisfied with the status quo. So why increase any limit when anglers are satisfied with the job our elected officials are doing managing our fish resourses. Myself I don't think they have a clue, but if you want to continue keeping fish to take home and eat, don't give the powers to be the wrong idea.
Also I catch redfish but I don't keep them to eat if I want a fish to eat I'll catch a mullet. My 2 cents for what its worth.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

grasshopper wrote:I'm for the increase, what puzzles me is the FWC is trying to give anglers something back and a lot of folks are telling them we don't want it. The gulf fishing regulations have been slowly edging toward catch and release only for all species the last several years. The people against an increase are only telling them they are satisfied with the status quo. So why increase any limit when anglers are satisfied with the job our elected officials are doing managing our fish resourses. Myself I don't think they have a clue, but if you want to continue keeping fish to take home and eat, don't give the powers to be the wrong idea.
Also I catch redfish but I don't keep them to eat if I want a fish to eat I'll catch a mullet. My 2 cents for what its worth.

Some of us are happy with the status quo for the time being, GH. I'm not opposed to increasing the limit down the road. But at this point I think it's premature with the last assessments showing a downward cycle, more anglers moving inshore and the prospect of another, more accurate assessment this fall. Also, nobody has a clue what the residual oil from the spill will do to the spawning stocks offshore. How many of you in favor of increasing the limit now will be screaming foul if redfish become harder to catch due to doubling the pressure and the FWC has to implement several months of closures or a zero bag limit. I've been through that before and it's not a pleasant option. So all I'm saying is why the rush to judgement? Let's do the assessment this fall and reevaluate after those results are in.