Aucilla River Question

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

kirt123

Re: Aucilla River Question

Post by kirt123 »

I just mentioned econfina because it is only a few miles from aucilla on the water and the channel out is much safer imo, once your out there you are on your own.... If I wanted to fish Aucilla, I would go to econfina and head down the coast after going out about a mile and a half.
reelcatch

Post by reelcatch »

The Aucilla is not real bad during normal tides for a boat that does not draft much. If the tide is negative just stay home. I agree with everyone here just go slow and try to follow someone. Better yet find someone who knows the river and take em fishing, it will be worth it.

As for super secret fishing holes that depends on the time of year. I love to fish there when it starts getting cold in the fall. Head out of the river and go east and head up one of the creeks. Ne real secret there. You will find em.

I was shocked to see the Econfina River mentioned to avoid rocks. WOW now there are some rocks in there. But again with the right tide and some knowledge it is not bad either.

I sold my little G 3 so I will tell you all of the holes I know about. Won't take long but I will share.

Good luck and tight lines.

Jim
redfishfun23

Post by redfishfun23 »

Thanks Guys for the info! As long as I stay away from the rocks both are safe! So idling out would be the best choice for the new guy or get lucky and follow someone out. I want to try the east flats this year, so I will go it slow. Once on the flats out of the Aucilla or Ecofina are the rocks, bars and other bad things fairly evident or are there more hidden dangers that can get me. How far out do I need to be to feel "safe" to run on plane? I really appreciate the time and information! Tight lines everyone!
reelcatch

Post by reelcatch »

Outside of the stake line is safe as far as I know. There are still some things that can get you up closer to shore but again go slow and you will learn where they are.
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

You can follow me out anytime.
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
Gulf Coast
Site Sponsor

Post by Gulf Coast »

Didn't you just get your prop back ? :lol:
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

You definitely don't want to follow me!

You are most assuredly not safe once out of the mouth. There is a rock the size of bermuda to the east about 300 yards off the hill. These guys can tell you how farout is safe, but I don't usually go out that far there.

Look at Google earth to see some of the bars. There are also some online depth charts that will give you a feel for the deep spots.
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?
RodBow
Site Sponsor

Post by RodBow »

to ease your mind a little just do a search on "map of rocks" and "aucilla river rocks" :)
that should solve you wanting to go east :smt006
use your opportunities ...

218 Carolina Skiff
25 Bayliner Deck
redfishfun23

Post by redfishfun23 »

Thanks Jumptrout! I give you a shout next time I get a kitchen pass!! I appreciate the help!
redfishfun23

Post by redfishfun23 »

Thanks Jumptrout! I give you a shout next time I get a kitchen pass!! I appreciate the help!
Warrior
Site Sponsor

Post by Warrior »

Make you better at Fenholloway because you can't see the rocks in that black water they are everywhere there to.
kirt123 wrote:I would rather go to Fenholloway at the second ramp, the ramp sucks but you dont have to worry about too many rocks in the river unless its a really low tide. As long you have a decent tide at econfina there isnt too much to worry about outside the no wake zones, just slow down before you get to them and idle past them a ways before getting on plane. The one by the last houses has a big table rock just past the zone going out. I usually bypass the no wake zone going out and coming in through the little creek on the northwest side of the no wake zone, tide permitting.
Warrior Inshore Charters
rocket
Site Sponsor

Post by rocket »

Warrior wrote:Make you better at Fenholloway because you can't see the rocks in that black water they are everywhere there to.
kirt123 wrote:I would rather go to Fenholloway at the second ramp, the ramp sucks but you dont have to worry about too many rocks in the river unless its a really low tide. As long you have a decent tide at econfina there isnt too much to worry about outside the no wake zones, just slow down before you get to them and idle past them a ways before getting on plane. The one by the last houses has a big table rock just past the zone going out. I usually bypass the no wake zone going out and coming in through the little creek on the northwest side of the no wake zone, tide permitting.
That's what I was thinking...
Stay Thirsty My Friends
kirt123

Post by kirt123 »

[quote="Warrior"]Make you better at Fenholloway because you can't see the rocks in that black water they are everywhere there to.

There are quite a few from the first ramp to the second, I dont put in at the first one, always the last one, yes on a bad tide I wont run out of the river on plane, but for the most part at least in my boat, there are plenty of days I could not get out of Econfina for lack of water, I have always gotten out of Fenholloway, sometimes had to push the boat though. Just seems to me the mouth is a little deeper, (not by much though) than the mouth of econfina, just may take an hour to get out at times during the winter.
RayMalloy

Post by RayMalloy »

I love fishing the Aucilla, but the rocks and ghost traps there won and are why I now use kayaks :lol: . I have not lost a prop or ripped my transom apart for almost 6 years now.
"Fish don't care how much you paid for your tackle."
smeseroll
Site Sponsor

Post by smeseroll »

I recently married into a family with a cabin at Nutall Rise. I've enjoyed spending the last couple years down there and learning my way around the Aucilla. I've had a couple close calls, but no lost prop yet.

Yeah I know, I just cursed myself. :beer: