Popping Cork Leader Length

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

pastorterry

Popping Cork Leader Length

Post by pastorterry »

Can anyone tell me a good 'rule of thumb' for the length of leader under a popping cork? I am new to the 'cork' fishing.
5 Happy is he who has the God of Jacob for his help, Whose hope is in the Lord his God,
6 Who made heaven and earth, The sea, and all that is in them; Who keeps truth forever, Psalms146:5-6 (NKJV)
Reel Cowboy
Site Sponsor

Re: Popping Cork Leader Length

Post by Reel Cowboy »

I've always heard to tie it 10-12" shorter than you are deep, i.e. 4' of water would be 3' of leader
But then again I know a few folks that use an 18" leader all the time.
Take 2 rods rigged both ways and fish them both and make your mind up then. The fish'll tell you what they want.
In the words of the great Doc Holliday, "I'll be your huckleberry"
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

I adjust the length for the water I'm fishing which is normally 1 1/2 to 3 foot. I normally have a rod with an 12 to 18 inch leader and another with a 3 to 4 foot leader "and another with a top water lure" :-D :beer:
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

It's simple. Experiment until you find where in the water column the fish want it. It could be 8" or 4'. I don't know of a rule of thumb.
What was I supposed to do today?
Scoop Sea
Site Sponsor

Post by Scoop Sea »

Hey PT, it looks like this is your first post, welcome aboard..... If you are in fact a Pastor, thanks for doing God's work.

As for the leader length on cork fishing, it has been my experience that the conditions at the time determine the length to use. I try to have my length set up so that the jig can dive down in to the grass and then come up out when I pop it. However, I have fished with folks who always have their jig about 1 foot behind their cork. To me that seems short, but those same folks have caught plenty of fish doing that as well. The beauty of an "ol school" popping cork is that you can just slide the cork up and down until you find what's working best for that day. Using Cajun Thunders, etc. means you have to retie a few times to get it right, but that's really not the worse thing in the world, especially considering the fact that you are out on the water anyway.....

Good luck with your fishing endeavors.
"Be Careful Not To Confuse Motion With Progress."
RayMalloy

Post by RayMalloy »

Using a cajun thunder (CT) or equalizer (weightless), pretie 4 leaders to 4 jig heads, 1 ft (1/8 oz) 2 ft (1/8 oz) 3 ft (1/4 oz) 4 ft (1/4 oz). Tie an overhand loop knot in the other end. Put each one in a ziplock snack bag. With a marker write the number 1 2 3 or 4 on the bags.

ON the CT, thread the loop thru the CT swivel, pull the jig thru the loop and pull tight. You can change it quickly by unlooping it.

Start with a 1 footer and work your way down.

Popping corks are adjustable as you will find each time you catch a trout. LOL!
"Fish don't care how much you paid for your tackle."
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

RayMalloy wrote:Using a cajun thunder (CT) or equalizer (weightless), pretie 4 leaders to 4 jig heads, 1 ft (1/8 oz) 2 ft (1/8 oz) 3 ft (1/4 oz) 4 ft (1/4 oz). Tie an overhand loop knot in the other end. Put each one in a ziplock snack bag. With a marker write the number 1 2 3 or 4 on the bags.

ON the CT, thread the loop thru the CT swivel, pull the jig thru the loop and pull tight. You can change it quickly by unlooping it.

That's cool I never thought of that.
Reel Cowboy
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Cowboy »

RayMalloy wrote:Using a cajun thunder (CT) or equalizer (weightless), pretie 4 leaders to 4 jig heads, 1 ft (1/8 oz) 2 ft (1/8 oz) 3 ft (1/4 oz) 4 ft (1/4 oz). Tie an overhand loop knot in the other end. Put each one in a ziplock snack bag. With a marker write the number 1 2 3 or 4 on the bags.

Pat McGriff does that I believe.
In the words of the great Doc Holliday, "I'll be your huckleberry"
leonreno

Post by leonreno »

Why not just use snap locks on the ends of the leaders with the jigs to attach to the CT.

I do usually have two rods rigged up, one with a approx. 18" leader and one with a 3-4ft leader. In the summer time, when its really hot the long one may be as long as 5+ feet to fish the deeper depths. When I fish, I set up either deep or shallow depending on the wind, and fish short leader in the shallow water and long leader in the deep water as I drift to see what is working. Once a pattern emerges, deep or shallow I will keep my drifts in that range.

I also keep extra CT rigs in my tackle bag with leaders and CTs ready to go. That way if the bite is good and I loose a leader or my CT gets damage (I am hard on my CTs and tend to knock the ends into the cork or bend the wire after awhile) I can quickly change them.

I have about 9 PVC tubes cut into 10 - 12 inch lengths glued together side by side in my bag. I just drop the leader into the tube followed by the CT and the CT stays a the top by placing the wire and swivel end through a cut slot on the side of the PVC.
pastorterry

Post by pastorterry »

Good Stuff! Thanks for all the input. I have always fished with a jig only but the cork seems to be a little easier to use. One thing I have seen is a cork that looks like a CJ but is adjustable. I may try that one next time. Anyone know the name of that little joker?
5 Happy is he who has the God of Jacob for his help, Whose hope is in the Lord his God,
6 Who made heaven and earth, The sea, and all that is in them; Who keeps truth forever, Psalms146:5-6 (NKJV)
lizbeth
Site Sponsor

Post by lizbeth »

Check these out: http://www.bayoubucklures.com/saltwater ... ures-5.htm

By the way Ray, that is a good idea you have.
Pirate Girl