FYI

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Breambuster

FYI

Post by Breambuster »

Guys, make sure you have your fire extinguisher on your boat. And if you have one, make sure that its easily accessible at all time.

While running out of Keaton beach on Saturday about a couple miles from the channel, my outboard was surging and loosing power. I slowed down and right away noticing a plume of smoke coming out of the cowling. I took the cover off and right away saw flames shooting out of it. Luckily, we had the fire extinguisher handy. To make a long story short, the voltage regulator malfunctioned, overheated and caught on fire, melting all the wires connecting to it as well as those on the starter. The outboard sustained about $2500 worth of damage. Hopefully insurance will pick up most of it.
Flint River Pirate
Site Sponsor

Re: FYI

Post by Flint River Pirate »

Glad you are ok! I am sure there are plenty of folks here that would be more than happy to take you fishing while your boat is down. You might have to blind fold them so they won't steal your spots. Except JT, he found your spots first. :-)
Team Jolly Mon
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

ONE...I have been where BB has been.
Had a motor catch fire a few years ago.
TWO.... Obviously I know all "his" spots since they are mine.
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
What a mess

Post by What a mess »

I would crap myself! I do have one onboard though.
Yesterday it was taboo today it is normal what the heck will they be doing tomorrow?
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

I've had one blow the cowling 20 foot up in the air before :o THAT will make ya crap yerself :lol: fixed the fuel leak and it fired right up and took me home :thumbup: :thumbup: I put an extinguisher on board before I went out again :smt004 :beer:
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
Breambuster

Post by Breambuster »

Oh crap! Insurance does not want to pay. What's my next course of action?
Reel Cowboy
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Cowboy »

Breambuster wrote:Oh crap! Insurance does not want to pay. What's my next course of action?

Do your part for the economy and buy a new motor.
In the words of the great Doc Holliday, "I'll be your huckleberry"
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Post by SHOWBOAT »

Insurance never wants to pay. Call Atticus:)
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
DEMON
Site Sponsor

Post by DEMON »

You need to carry two extinguishers, especially if your only one rides in the console. With all the batteries and wiring in the console, fires often start there and if your only extinquisher is in the same place as the fire........well you get the idea. Put one up front some where or make sure your extinguisher is mounted outside the console. Also, one small one isn't enough for a fuel driven fire.
tallykenj
Site Sponsor

Post by tallykenj »

Wow. That's scary. I do have one but now seems like two are needed. Thanks for the story and advice. Sorry to hear about the incident.
The Back Porch
SS-342
Site Sponsor

Post by SS-342 »

BB:

That was some report.

We were there Saturday but didn't hear about your problems.

Late in the day a message came over about a man who ran over his buddy. He was cut by the props and the steering went out. He was near Adams Beach. The last I heard he was trying to flag down a passing boat.

I said that to say, I suppose you can always find something worse!

Glad you were not injured.
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

DEMON wrote:You need to carry two extinguishers, especially if your only one rides in the console. With all the batteries and wiring in the console, fires often start there and if your only extinquisher is in the same place as the fire........well you get the idea. Put one up front some where or make sure your extinguisher is mounted outside the console. Also, one small one isn't enough for a fuel driven fire.
You are correct Sir.
Anyone who carries the smallest size and questionably accessible is only kidding themselves NOT FWC.
The one time I had to fire mine off I wished it was 4 times as large.
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
SLICK

Post by SLICK »

Breambuster wrote:Oh crap! Insurance does not want to pay. What's my next course of action?

Let us know what insurance company you have so we can be sure not to get it or get rid of it! I had state farm a couple of years ago when I had a fire on my motor cost about $2000 had no problem with them paying.
Ranaman

Post by Ranaman »

OF course they don't WANT to pay Peng, but that is why you have it, so they will pay! Make sure you read the policy and let them know you'll be submitting the bill to them! I had a axle break on the trailer and SF didn't want to cover the expense to have it towed to Coastal, a friend had the same insurance and told me they do too, I looked at my policy (viewable online) and it stated CLEARLY that it covered trailer and towing expenses, but the call in line said they didn't! Long story short they DID!!

Unfortunately, it seems YOU have to be positive that it isn't covered they arn't going out of their way to help.

Sorry to hear of your trouble!
Breambuster

Post by Breambuster »

still working through the chain of command but not much luck yet. I will give a full accounts of what transpired when this is settled.

Joe, I will call you later today.