Need to borrow a couple house jacks (screw jacks)

Need to buy or sell something, post it here.(Only Sponsor Businesses Please)

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Need to borrow a couple house jacks (screw jacks)

Post by Steve Stinson »

I started what I thought was a deck resurfacing project at my house, but it has turned into much more. The short story goes like this:

Removed the deck boards to find the stringers rotted.

Removed the stringers to find the cedar siding on the house rotted where the deck attached.

Removed the siding on the house to find some portion of the floor joist plate rotted.

So I need to support my house in an area about 5 or 6 feet long from under the crawl space while I cut out and replace the rotted wood. If anybody has a couple of large screw-type jacks I would appreciate the use of them for a week or less.

This project is cutting way too far into my fishing time and budget, so any help is much appreciated. Call me at 509-3116 if you have any suggestions. At the moment, the exterior siding is removed from the house, so I have to get this fixed before any rain shows up.

Thanks - Steve Stinson
wevans
Site Sponsor

Re: Need to borrow a couple house jacks (screw jacks)

Post by wevans »

If you don't find any, Harbor Freight has 20 ton jacks for $40 a peice right now :beer:
http://www.harborfreight.com/20-ton-hyd ... 66482.html
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
DEMON
Site Sponsor

Post by DEMON »

I used to have two. Will look when I get home. They are screw jacks.
FUTCHCAIRO

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

HEY STEVE, I USED REGULAR 2 TON BOTTLE JACKS LIKE WE USED ON OUR TRUCKS TO DO ABOUT THE SAME THING YOU ARE DOING AND THEY WORKED GREAT. WE JUST CUT A COUPLE OF 4X4 BOARDS ABUT 3 FT. LONG AND THE TWO JACKS JACKED UP THE WHOLE BACK SIDE OF THE HOUSE NEXT TO THE LAKE. PUT IN THE NEW STRINGER AND 3 FLOOR JOIST AND THEN NEW SIDING AND JOINING PLATE FOR THE DECK, WE USED TREATED LUMBER ON ALL OF THE NEW REPLACEMENT BOARDS AND COVERED THE DECK PLATE WITH BLACK PLASTIC BEFORE PUTTING ON THE NEW DECK BOARDS.

PA
SEMPER FI
FUTCHCAIRO
DEMON
Site Sponsor

Post by DEMON »

Steve, found my jacks. You are welcome to borrow them. They are 20 ton with 16"-25" range. I'll PM you with my info.
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

Demon -

I had a neighbor come over last night to see what all the noise was about. I believe we have it worked out and held in place until I can get the new lumber back in place. I appreciate the advice and offers to help.

Thanks to all of you who responded.
Steve Stinson
Gulf Coast
Site Sponsor

Post by Gulf Coast »

"Lumber" did anyone say "Lumber" if you haven't aready got it give me a call Steve,I can hook you up. Chris 421-5295
DEMON
Site Sponsor

Post by DEMON »

Chris, We don't need no stinkin lumber, we need non-ethanol gas. When you going to get the hook up?